After yearly bath, constant licking between pads. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
eno

After yearly bath, constant licking between pads.

I have only washed my 2yr GSD once before since I heard / read over washing can dry out their skin. He was coming up on his 2nd Bday and at last minute since I had time I decided to go to the self dog wash in my area. The last time I had used an Oatmeal based shampoo but since I stopped by last minute I used what they had.

A diluted blueberry smelling face/body wash. They said it was safe to use around the wash and that they diluted it so to use plently while washing. So I washed him up real good and then rinsed him off TWICE. I made certain I would rinse away any soap to avoid skin issues.( He has never had major skin reactions or excessive scratching ) After I felt confident that I had drowned his coat & body with enough rinsing I towel dried and then walked him for about 30 mins in the nice 75degree weather to dry him a little before the car ride home.

We noticed a few days later he was licking in between his pads and sometimes his testicals. It was the 19th of May that I washed him so 8days ago and he is still licking mainly his inner paws on a regalur basis.

I had tried filling up his kid pool about 4in's and having him get in the other day. I washed with water only to try to maybe rinse away any soap or irratation. He is still licking but does not seem to be constant all the time licking but at least 5 or more times a day I will stop him from licking them.

Ideas on this itching issue?

Side Question :: Also he is a slightly longer coat shepherd and has never had his paws trimmed. He has fur between his toes and between his pads. She thinks the hair is cute but I want to have those paws trimmed up. Any reason for his health to keep the paws nice and trim?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Master Member

Re: After yearly bath, constant licking between pads.

Is the hair between his pads matted? (specially in the 'V' part and between the tops of the toes) A lot of people don't realize they can get mats in there and it's like walking around with a rock in your shoe.

It could be he was initially irritated by something in the soap but keeps re-irritating it by licking constantly.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
eno

Re: After yearly bath, constant licking between pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrennasMomIt could be he was initially irritated by something in the soap but keeps re-irritating it by licking constantly.
I agree.

Yesterday I cut his toe hair and in between his pads. He has never had any mats in between. I watch my dog like a hawk and I couldn't think those would be possible with the attention he gets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page