fleas fleas and more fleas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

fleas fleas and more fleas

We had a problem last year but this year is worse and it's only May. I've been fleabombing the house once a week. The dogs are being bathed/sprayed and still infested...not talking a just an occasional flea. We'd treated outside in the yard. There's still even with weekly treatment and every other day treatment of the dogs fleas...and with one being a sheltie it is very difficult to get him soaked all the way down which doesn't help. I've been trying garlic. I tried a few months ago a pill for one of my surviving dogs and it really didn't help her - she still had fleas. So $15 each (doesn't matter what sized dog) per month for something that doesn't work is not going to happen. I've tried oral stuff, I've tried the drops (last year) and was still having to bathe excessively.

I spray and it's like a fertility drug. Are the dogs - and ourselves - doomed to constant itching, whining and being uncomfortable because of fleas? We ripped up all the carpet except for 2 rooms to get rid of hiding places. I've tried salt. I've tried baking soda. I've tried using a spray for bedding and in addition to the weekly bug bombs in the kitchen, living room and office spray down the couch daily.

Constructive ideas welcome - the next step is a pyrethrin dip which I hate to do but the dogs are *miserable*. The tan one looks like an Appaloosa and I just sprayed her a half hour ago. She's been itching since and from 5' away I can see the spots moving on her. There's GOT to be something that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

Re: fleas fleas and more fleas

I know you said that you've tried the pills, but have you tried capstar pills? I gave them to my cats and my dog, and the fleas fall right off. We even crated one of the cats and there was like forty fleas in the crate after an hour or so. We weren't sure if the cat had swallowed his pill, that's why we crated him. After that, we followed through with frontline. It does feel like a constant battle when fighting fleas though.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

What are you feeding? Do you use the spot on applications (the ones prescribed by the vet?) What are you shampooing with? Do you comb them out with a flea comb?

I only know holistic remedies. Rinsing them in apple cider vinegar and adding that to their food did seem to help when I had problems here a few years ago.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I believe that's what the border collie got - I know it started with a c and was a new pill. She was still crawling with fleas; as was my fox terrier who'd gotten one and another border collie. The fox terrier has since passed on but needed baths 2-3 times per week last summer and was crawling with fleas every time. And there's just not $200+ to spend on pills that the only result is some chemical manufacturer has my money and the dogs still are itching and crawling with fleas. I've been bug boming every Friday for a month....and it's just getting worse.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I've changed everyone to raw food following losing several dogs in March/April to dog food issues (ones that I'm told don't exist but that's another story). I'll try the apple cider vinegar. As for shampoos I've used the regular flea shampoos and someone suggested Dawn...both worked for a day or so.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Crowned Member

try K9 Advantix

Fleas cycle. One bombing won't do it unless you time 2nd and sometimes a third to get the larvae.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

I understand one bombing won't do. :-D That's why for five Fridays consecutively I've bombed it. By the fourth or fifth one I figured there'd be fewer, if no, fleas, as the dogs were being treated too. Instead it's as if nothing has been done. The only other thing I can do is use twice as many as recommended when bombing to give a heavier fog. o.0 I set one in the kitchen, one in the connecting living room - so 2 bombs in an area about 14X30. Plus another in the office which is about 8X10. Last week I did use 3 in the kitchen/living room area. It's shut up for over 2 hours then opened up to air. That *SHOULD* kill every creepy crawly that moves then a week later get the ones that hatched and a week later the residuals...there should be no need for a 4th and 5th treatment ?
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Oh, sorry, I remember your situation now. Garlic is controversial but I do use this stuff called Bug Off garlic and it does not completely eradicate fleas but makes the dogs less tasty.

Whole Dog Journal did an article on getting rid of fleas naturally...maybe 3 years ago? I followed their whole protocol and got rid of them but I had the weather on my side which you don't.

I would be very concerned about bombing that much. That's a lot of poison in your living environment...

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Master Member

k9 advantix or frontline plus,i have not seen a single flea on my dogs!!!!
also keep in mind that the flea cycle is 2 weeks!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Master Member

Put beneficial nematodes in your yard.

I had flea problems because of my **** cats 3 years in a row.

No more cats, and with the dog I started her on frontline toward the end of march.

No biting jumping b*stards yet...fingers crossed.

Fleas are getting smarter. They sense the fog from bombs coming and will hop their butts under baseboards, furniture, etc to avoid being gassed.

It is war.

Get a powder to put down along all walls and furniture, get spray for upholstery, take ALL clothes and fabrics you can to the laundromat and wash them in hot water and dry for at least 45 minutes. Bomb after you've got it all set up and leave for the laundromat.

Reich and Sieg's page-

Reich, female, DOB 12-15-07
Sieg, male, DOB- 07-09-08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in