to fix or not to fix that is the question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

to fix or not to fix that is the question

Please help us decide if and when to neuter our mason...wife and i are on the fence...he was pick of the litter and is one year old next week...she wants to and i want to at least wait till he is 2 or so....what say yall?

Lomax Anderson IV
Second Ammendment Supporters
Mason Reh GSD
Abby Gale GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:44 PM

Re: to fix or not to fix that is the question

if he doesnt have any behavior or temperment issues & is not at risk of getting anyone pregnant, then sure wait until two. i'm confused as to why you mentioned he was pick of the litter - is there a chance that you'll breed him? because whether or not you should breed is a different story. but even still, gotta wait til two for ofa's.

right off the bat tho, if you arent a professional breeder, and he wasnt sold to you with breeding rights... then neuter him!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

I wish I wouldn't have, only because my GSD has a number of health problems and I often wonder if the hormone imbalance from neutering isn't a contributing factor. He was neutered at about 1 1/2 years. I noticed very little change in him at the time.

Of course I'm assuming that you can train your boy while he is unneutered, and also that you can ensure that there are no unwanted pregnancies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ...he has proven very easy to work with ...great with small kids and very quick to learn...we did not get him with intennt of breeding but do have the rights...and he is showing alot of "natural"ability to search and trail with little training...my wife is a Homemaker so he gets lots of time to work.We feel we are able to prevent any pregnancies as he is always with one of us or inside the house...
My main concern is him getting stuck in puppyhood if he is fixxed before mature.Is this warrented?What are the benifits of an intact male other than breeding? what do people feel the benifits of neutering are? thanks

Lomax Anderson IV
Second Ammendment Supporters
Mason Reh GSD
Abby Gale GSD
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:00 PM

I'm getting Gunner fixed next week, he'll be 2 in July. My thoughts are if you're not going to breed, get him fixed!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 PM

bump

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:19 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Many people say wait until 18-24 months old. I knew for sure I wanted to wait until Keefer was a year old, but I didn't really want to wait until he was two. I ended up having it done at 15 months. He already had a big head and masculine look to him, and I don't see any personality changes at all. He'll be 3 at the end of August.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Crowned Member

I think that getting a dog fixed is purely for our convenience unless there is a medical reason, such as testicular cancer. Testicular cancer happens in less than 1% of dogs and is easy to fix when it is found.

However, there is a correlation between early spay and neuter and osteosarcoma which is a death sentence. There are many other things including problems due to improper growth that are related to spaying or neutering before a dog is full grown.

There is always the threat of side effects or death from the anesthetic. It happens. Even if the dog just has a bit of oxygen deprivation and lives, it could cause siezures later on. At least this is known to be the case with humans. With all the dogs out there with epilepsy, I wonder how many are neutered, and how many did not show any problems before they were neutered. My friends bitch was nine when she spayed her. Shortly after she started having siezures. A lot of dogs are diagnosed with epilepsy between 2 and 3. It just makes me wonder.

Doubtless you have a list of pros and cons. No one from your vet to your groomer to your trainer will tell you NOT to neuter your dog. Perhaps it is true that 90% of people cannot keep an intact dog celibate. Who knows? But Neutering is not synonimous with responsible dog ownership.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 PM

to me, an un neutered dog is the equivalent of a man that cannont have sex or masterbate for 12-14yrs.

its just my personal belief, therefore i wouldnt do it to my dog.

until spaying & neutering is linked to HD or obsession with the cat litterbox - i will continue to have my girls spayed before their first heat and my males neutered once his desired male characteristics are developed (as cassidy's mom mentioned above) which is usually prior to two. i've yet to experience any 'cons'.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Never fix a good male GSD. Opionated yes, but recent medical studies indicate that neutering a male GSD creates more health problems then it alleviates.

The same studies regarding a female are quite different.

If you want a copy of the recent info I will be glad to try and find, and post. The study has been posted on this board before, but if you cannot find it, i would be glad to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page