Dew Claws removed???? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Dew Claws removed????

I'm a new owner of a german shepard and I went to my vet and she said I should have his dew claws removed. Is this true??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Dew Claws removed????

My pup's were removed before I got her from the breeder, so I'm no help.

Lisa
Owned by:
Lucina v Dare, GSD
Fancy Me Deuce (Tedy) APHA gelding
Purple Haze Nirvana AQHA mare
Trooper rescue kitty and senior fur kid
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

you are not suppose to have a german shepherd's dew claws removed, back paws you can but the standard said they are suppose to have dew claws

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

DaKota's were removed before I got her also. Now my Pug does have them & I did ask for them to be removed when I had her spayed. The vet advised against it seeing she was almost 2 yrs.old.

~Saving just one
will not change the
world, but surely will
change the world
for that dog~

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

You are talking about the front, right?? I had Onyx removed when she was spayed at 6 mos. and regret it. The recovery was worse that the spay stitches and there is really no reason to have them removed, they use them. I had to change her bandages often, and it was a rainy two weeks when she was recovering! Outside, change dressing... Onyx were a bit curled outward, and the vet and my trainer at the time suggested it. I don't see that vet anymore, but am still at the same clinic.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

There are very few cases when the dew claws need to be removed on a young pup.

I had them taken off on my first GSD, his protruded from his legs alot and several times got them hooked on things.

I jsut had them removed on my current male because he reshed the fence trying to get to a critter and almost tore one completely off.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Knighted Member

I see no reason to remove them at all, front dew claws help Jesse hold things in his paws. All my dogs in all my 42 years of life had dew claws which doesn't cause any problems - my feelings if they were born with them they are meant to be there.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Like Onyx's girl, I too, had Gracie's dewclaws removed when she was spayed and totally regret it. She's right - the recovery was worse. I feel so guilty for having put Gracie through that pain and for what?? So I have two less claws to trim? One of my dumber decisions, I'm sorry to admit.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Dewclaws take no time to maintain. Just a quick trim every so often. If you don't want to do it yourself, it takes about 1 minute at your vet's or groomers office. I just see no point in removing them. I completely agree with Sherush. All my dogs have had dew claws. They use them when holding on to things, and I don't see any reason to remove them. I've lived a lot of places, had a lot of vets, and had my dogs anesthetized often for necessary procedures. But I've never had a vet recommend dew claw removal. Zamboni's tend to curl around, and when she was a pup, my vet at the time said, "so bring her in and we'll trim them more often."

I can't imagine why a vet would recommend removing them, except that your vet 1) can make extra money on the procedure or 2) gets scratched by other patients and wants to impose this procedure on as many patients as possible. I know that sounds cynical, but as others have said, it's not breed standard and the vet is recommending an unnecessary *surgical* procedure. Unless this is a vet you know well and respect, I'd be thinking of looking for another vet.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

Where I work the vets refuse to remove the front dewclaws. They are used like toes or thumbs. They are attached to the bone and are very painful to remove. You can keep them clipped short or if they are sharp, you can file with a human fingernail file. If there is a medical reason to remove them, that's a different story but I do not recommend removing them.

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page