Doggie Blood Donors anyone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Doggie Blood Donors anyone?

I've been considering having Tash become -possibly- a blood donor. We have a fairly close ER vet who does blood transfusions. I was going to contact them and see if they did take in blood donors.

I looked up some things and it says the doggers recieve stuff after they donate. I know it says they get dog treats there, could you bring your own yummy stuff that they don't get often so I know she'll eat it and wont get sick from something new? Or what kind of treat do they usually get after? Does anyone know?

Also it says the only thing the dog can be taking is a heartworm preventative. Can they be on a joint supplement?

And they said they have to be up to date on their vacs. Our rabies is every 3 years. If I go every 3 years on the other vacs would that be considered UTD? Or do they have to be done every year?

Tash has had blood drawn before for pre-op and I never got a report that she wasn't a good dog. Even when she's hurt she stays calm and relaxed so I think that it wont be a problem. If we do do the blood donating do you think I could bring her in for a visit before she actually donates so she can meet the Doctors and get used to the new suroundings of the vet building? I think seeing new vets and being in a new place and having blood drawn would be a bit pushing things?

Does anyone do this with their GSD or other dogs that they might have? If not has anyone else considered it?

My dad's girl Ally -which some of you might remember me talking about her- had to have a blood transfusion as her red blood cells were way way way down from where they should have been. So since she had that I've been thinking about it even more.

Thank you,
Brit and Tash

Oh yeah..What questions should I be asking the vet staff when I contact them? Should I ask what they use to reward the dogs. How often? Their rules on it? If we could come for a pre-visit. Should i maybe ask if vacs are considered UTD if they're 3 yrs apart?

Brittany mommy to -
Natasha's Sweet Windsong CGC - GSD - 34 months
Sadie Lynn - Siamese - 8 yrs
Cleo - DLH kitten

"Step" mom to -
Dash - 6 yr old American Warmblood - My Dream Horse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam
Re: Doggie Blood Donors anyone?

One of my dogs used to be a blood donor at NC State. the requirements for being a blood donor were quite stringent. Drift had to be less than 5 years old, weigh >50lbs and in good health. Vaccine wise NC State is on a 3 year vaccine protocol and that was acceptable. He then had blood drawn for tick titers (clearly you don't want any bloodborne parasites), CBC, Chem and blood typing. Dogs have to be DEA 1 and 7 negative to be a donor.

Once clear, Drift became a donor, donating around 450mls every three months. Post donation dogs are given a can of dog food and perhaps some treats depending on what the pup liked.

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Well she meets the weight requirement and age.

My dad said something about how some blood banks also take type specific -or maybe it's just an vet that does?-.

Brittany mommy to -
Natasha's Sweet Windsong CGC - GSD - 34 months
Sadie Lynn - Siamese - 8 yrs
Cleo - DLH kitten

"Step" mom to -
Dash - 6 yr old American Warmblood - My Dream Horse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

I'd really like for Camper to be a blood donor -- if I can get his SIBO under control for long term.

I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't use your own treats, or have your dog on joint supplements. I know they test the blood for infectious diseases before they use it, but I would think it depends on your specific blood bank whether the want full annual vaccines or not.

I would ABSOLUTELY Bring my dog into the facility and let him do a casual meet and greet of the lobby and front staff/receptionist before I had him give blood. Whether they would want you to visit the back area depends how busy the facility is, most likely.

This is where I'd donate. Maybe some of your questions are answered here? http://www.criticalcarevets.com/comm_bb.htm

As for other questions, just think about what you would ask regarding other medical procedures. Who is handling my dog?? Can I be in the room? What could go wrong during the procedure? What if something goes wrong during the procedure? Do I have to pay for that? What if my dog needs blood at sometime during her life, does she get it for free as a courtesy for all her donations?

That sort of thing.

I think blood donations are one of the most selfless things we can do, as humans or dogs. They're relatively painless and free, and what a gift to someone who needs the blood! I'm glad you're thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page