will he still grow after neutering? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

will he still grow after neutering?

Buddy will be 9 months old next month, and we are thinking about having him neutered. He is 86lbs right now, not fat, lean with muscle.
He is not fully grown yet. I was wondering, will he still grow after the surgery or it will stop or slow down? I certainly donít want him to stop growing. Also, he is a submissive type of dog, does it mean, he will be even more submissive? I am trying to delay this surgery every month, but we probably have to do it soon, otherwise we can't go anywhere, they won't take him to daycare and we don't have anyone, who could take care of him otherwise.
Thank you for your help.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

Re: will he still grow after neutering?

Yes, he will definitely still grow after neutering. In fact, dogs neutered before puberty may end up being slightly taller than those not neutered or neutered later because the long bones continue to grow a little longer (although the difference is slight).

Neutering will not make him more submissive though it may make him more easy going with other dogs. My guess is that this is why the daycare requires it. Right now he's a puppy so it's normal and socially appropriate for him to be submissive. As he matures (which he'll still do, neutered or not) he will find his place in the pecking order.

At 9 months old and 86lbs, your boy is huge! And a very handsome young man if that's him in your avatar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. He is very very friendly around other dogs. He has very nice personality. I dont know, if he is big for his age, he is big build I think, maybe heavy bones. I don't feed him so much, he doesn't even finish his breakfast.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

He'll grow just fine, he's already at the standard weight for GSD's so you don't have to worry about that!

You check out this thread???

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Yes, long time ago I check that. He is good weight, but still not full grown, when I compare him to adult dogs.

Linda
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

I don't knooooooooooooooooow...this guy on the left was normal sized until I had him neutered at 8 months-look at him now!

Bruno and Bella

Not only that, he insists on wearing a Batman outfit wherever he goes.

Neutering really did a number on Bruno!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

You win the grand prize on that one, Jean!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

))))

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page