Scraping Teeth - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Scraping Teeth

Every now and then I see a comment about people scraping tartar off of their dogs teeth on their own. How is this done? What tool is used? Is it even recommended?

Jester has just about the most aweful teeth I have ever encountered. It's been an uphill battle to save as many teeth as possible and he goes and gets his teeth cleaned periodically by the veterinarian.

It seems the tartar forms pretty fast despite my efforts. If I could scrape some off between vet visits, that might help a lot. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Erin

Jayda "The Flying Super Puppy" Vom Geistwasser (08/08/08)
Jester J. Dog- Papillon (11/11/00)
Pippin Vom Doodleman- Cat (09/02)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Scraping Teeth

If you look at the dental care section in the grocery or drug store you will find teeth scalers. They are used to remove tarter from teeth. If your pup is used to you handling his mouth and teeth you can do this to an extent. It is easier to start brushing after a cleaning.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Re: Scraping Teeth

I have been told it is not a good idea to do this to your dog because if the tooth is not polished after scraping it will cause more tarter to form on the tooth since scraping makes the tooth surface rough. Much better to brush the teeth and have regular cleanings done if you can afford it.
Some people say that PetzLife gel or spray works really well especially if you brush it on your dog's teeth. Our shepherds have always had great teeth, never needed teeth cleanings and we never brushed them. I put it down to good genetics and the fact that they love to chew their bones! Lucky dogs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page