spot-on reaction, help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

spot-on reaction, help

Last summer each month after applying the monthly spot-on product for fleas/ticks (I have used Bio-Spot for many years with total success on all prior GSD's, and we live on farm, fleas and ticks abound)........but with Suzi, who was 14 months old at time of first dose, she became very restless, agitated every month. This behavior lasted at least several hours. Distraction did not work, after a good play/exercise session after dosing, as soon as activity stopped, the agitated, almost-frightened behavior resumed.

Vet and techs said they see this with spot-on products in some dogs. The last month in the fall that I used it, I did not apply the entire dose and her reaction was not as pronounced as before (she is a very lean-to-thin high-drive type; my thinking was that even though I used the dosage for her weight range, maybe it was still too much.)

The season for starting flea/tick prophylaxis where I live is soon, and I am a bit edgy, not liking her to be seemingly distressed for those hours.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

Re: spot-on reaction, help

I have a friend who actually measures out the doseage for each dog, I can't remember what she told me she uses or the cc's per weight.

I am actually thinking about trying some thing different this year also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe you might want to try another product such as Advantage or Frontline. Many years ago I used Bio-spot (I'm sure that was the one) on several of my cats. I did them all at once and within a short period most of them had a severe reaction to it. It was really scary, they were foaming at the mouth and freaking out.... After that I switched to Advantage and didn't have any problems with it....except then they were terrified of any products like that. Good luck.
Rosa

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM

I had a Chow that almost died after using Bio-Spot under the care of a previous owner (seizures and rapid heat beat) and have heard much the same from other people. Off hand I don't know of anyone who uses it anymore. If it was my dog I would not use this particular product on this dog anymore.

Many people must still use it and be satisfied with it since places like Wal-Mart seem to go through quite a bit of it and I see it advertised in the main pet mail-order catalogs.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen *a lot* of reactions to Bio Spot on the boards.

If you have ticks, you don't want Advantage. Advantix(?) or Frontline.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

Frontline Plus is very good for ticks, not so potent for fleas. Advantage is better for fleas. And all of them are potent poisons. Whole Dog Journal c 1999 - 2000 did a series of articles on flea/tick control. It was pretty revealing about the leathelness of the spot ons. THey had formulas for organic control, too. That worked on the old geezer male dog, but not on the girls. Check out those back issues and try the organic stuff if your dog is bothered by the synthetic spot-ons. One's a mixture of tinctures in a fluid that includes vodka, the other's an herbal powder. They smelled really good so if they work for you that would be another advantage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to melonyjhsn

I'd also switch to Frontline, Advantage, or K9Advantix. All three of these can be measured out by cc’s to the exact weight of each dog. The info is already on the internet- just do a search for ‘splitting up doses of Frontline between dogs’ and then do the math.

I’m doing exact doses this year to see if the kids are protected from fleas/ticks without having to expose them to more chemicals then absolutely necessary.

Melony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page