flea problem!! HELP! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

flea problem!! HELP!

Ok so we've found that the reason Mya has lost some of the hair on her back/butt is because shes allergic to flea dirt. She will not stop knawing at the hot spot shes made which now covers half the length of her back to her tail. I had no idea she had fleas, and doing brushings almost daily havent seen any, with very little "dirt" on her under belly which i (dummy me) thought was dryed up mud from our walks lately since everything is thawing. Anyway, i've tried numerous shampoos that are supposed to "eliminate" fleas and eggs on contact, which was NO FUN because i had to sit in the tub with her for 15 minutes while the shampoo did its business. But to no avail, shes still itching! GRrr....! I probobly should mention she is on Advantage!! How the heck does a dog on flea deterrant have fleas?!?! Anyhoo, lol, i saw this product on the petco website and wondered if anyone has tried it... its called a flea zapper. It sends an electric pulse (safe for dogs) but deadly to fleas when you brush the dog with it, and then it has a comb to help pull the dead fleas from the dogs body. I dunno if this is going to work or just be another one of those gimmicks, but im desperate! She just seems so miserable!

heres the link:
http://www.petco.com/product/100471/...onic-Comb.aspx

What do you guys do to get rid of and then help prevent fleas??? Any suggestions?

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

Re: flea problem!! HELP!

Maybe use Frontline instead? My vet told me Frontline is really good when it comes to fleas.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

They were on Frontline for a while, i even had the vet show me how to properly administer it to the dogs skin to ensure it worked properly, and still all 3 of them ended up with fleas last spring/summer. I just am at a loss, apparently we live in an area prone to lots of fleas!! Right now, Mya is the only one with fleas, im keeping her seperated from the rest of the hooligans so as not to infect them as well, she being kept in the basement room, but i hate doing this to her because she is my velcro baby and shes having a lot of anxiety being alone down there. I just dont want the house, the furniture, our bed, etc to have fleas, then we'd have a huge problem!!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Knighted Member

We use it year round herer- (Frontline) you may want to make SURE of the pups' weight to ensure proper dosage-
We had a patient awhile back whose dog was on it every three weeks (versus every 4 weeks) and it worked for her......... ask the vet......... NO baths 2 days before and 3 days AFTER Frontline........ it reduces the effecacy.........

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

You might try adding brewers yeast and/or garlic powder to their food.

I switched to Advantage every three weeks and got results.

Are your dogs inside or out? You might not think you have fleas in the house but my groomer told me to take a flat plate, put some water and dish detergent in it. Place it under a lamp (something like a goose neck or something that is low). Leave the light on during the night and check it in the a.m. for fleas. I found a few so I used FLEA STOP in areas that could harber the eggs. I have used FLEA STOP in the past and always had good results especially when I had all carpet to deal with.

You may also have to treat your yard.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

They are indoor dogs, besides the usual outdoor activities. We had the yard sprayed last year, one of those do it yourself packs, but im guessing we either did it wrong, or it just didnt work. We had the house bombed which was a nightmare, we even removed the carpeting and had hardwood floors put everywhere but the bedrooms to help solve this annoying problem. Im going to stock up on Advantage, and do some more flea soaks on her, hopefully i can tackle this problem before it spreads!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Knighted Member

Ailyn,
I don't know how you feel about giving pills to your dogs, but we only had a flea problem with Molly once in our old house and I think it was because we had several stray cats living under our deck. I freaked out because we also used Revolution on Molly and I was ticked that it didn't seem to work, at least at that moment. The vet gave Molly a single little pill (I believe it was called Capstar, but don't remember for sure as it was several years ago) that killed off all the adult fleas on her. It worked like a charm. I found a couple dead fleas on her a couple hours after giving her the pill and never had a problem after that. All we needed was that one pill and that was it. Then the flea bath killed off any eggs that were left and we applied another application of her Revolution and like I said, no problems since

Nicky~ Mom to Molly, CD, RN, NA, NAJ, CGC, TC, TDI~ 6 year old GSD
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Please remember not to mix different applications as you may overdose your dog with chemicals that could be toxic if used together. Tell your vet what products you are/ have used, so they are aware of this. Good luck as this parasitic season is only beginning!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

You are going to have to wash her, do the yard and the house all at the same time. The baths will only take care of the fleas she has on her AT THAT TIME. It will not stop fleas from jumping back on her. When my past shepherd had his flea allergy I took him to the groomer to be done and then sprayed the car, house and yard while he was gone and then did it again in three weeks because none of the products out there kill the eggs.

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

I had a horrible infestation of fleas last month. Frontline Plus wasn't doing any good. I was finally forced to use COMFORTIS (a 30 day oral flea killer) which really scared me, but it worked without any noticible side effects. I'm going to give them another pill this month and have the yard sprayed. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.
http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page