Have you ever hearde of this? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Have you ever hearde of this?

Some people in my obedience class last night brought up a question about cigarrete butts. Several had heard that feeding your puppy/dog or letting them eat cigarrete butts was a cure for some kind of worm?? I had never heard this and would never feed or let a dog eat them, but they asked the question so I told them I would do some asking around. Of course, regardless of whether it is true or not, I think there are much safer ways to get rid of worms in a dog than this and told them so. Just curious as to what others have heard and what the truth is on this possible myth?

Moxie vom Triton RA CD (GSD)
Breaca von Dog Pound (BC)
APRI Ch Royalty's Jinx'D Ya RN CDX (Sheltie)
RIP Achielles UD, Axel CD, Hella & Malfoy (GSDs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:20 AM

Re: Have you ever hearde of this?

Yuck... I've never heard of this. Although kinda funny looking back, Freyja used to dive bomb for cigarette butts when she was very little. I seriously think she was trying to get to it and swallow it before I noticed. She did this with both cigarette butts and poop. I was constantly prying her mouth open and pulling them out I had her broke of this nasty habit by the time she was 3 months, but she's the first dog I've ever had to teach to not eat them.

proudly owned and loved by

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freyja -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

always and forever
from this life to the next
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM
Elite Member

I have no idea where people get these crazy ideas...I mean, come on, think logically. I don't know what cigarette butts are made of (the filters, at least), but anyone should know and understand that it isn't healty to eat, and more so, it can't be a safe remedy for any parasite or worm, or whatever.

Yeah, if you kill the dog.....you will probably kill any possible parasites as well ....maybe that's the intended cure?

Beau 5-7-1994 11-10-2006: Miss you, big guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 AM
Crowned Member

I may have heard of it once from some "back-woods never take your dog to the vet" people I once knew.

I can't imagine even an idiot would think that was safe.

~Lisa owned by

Annabelle (4 1/2 y/o GSD)
Maiya (4 y/o GSD)
Jaeger (9 month old GSD)

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well I am pretty rural lol But for pete's sake ! As you say... even an idiot, I would think, would know not to do this.

People have some of the strangest ideas/notions. I wonder what got them thinking that this actually was a good thing to do?

Moxie vom Triton RA CD (GSD)
Breaca von Dog Pound (BC)
APRI Ch Royalty's Jinx'D Ya RN CDX (Sheltie)
RIP Achielles UD, Axel CD, Hella & Malfoy (GSDs)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Crowned Member

LOL, I didn't mean rural people. I wish I was one and didn't live in the "burbs".

I think you know the type I am talking about.

~Lisa owned by

Annabelle (4 1/2 y/o GSD)
Maiya (4 y/o GSD)
Jaeger (9 month old GSD)

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Crowned Member

We are just "rural" country folks LOL just kidding, we live in a country area and I really like our area.

I have never heard that, but we used to have a Chi and she used to chew on them if she got the chance, but that dog was strange.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Crowned Member

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Butts.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...g_in_pets.html

Answer 16: http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...7095127AA5rFgi

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Master Member

This is from Cornell's website. I had heard of it being used in horses but never dogs.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/.../pyridine.html

Symptons of Poisoning
Nicotine
- acutely affects the nervous system by blocking autonomic ganglia and neuromuscular junctions. Livestock progress from:
excitement -->
shaking and twitching -->
rapid breathing -->
staggering -->
weakness and prostration -->
coma -->
descending paralysis of the central nervous system -->
to death by respiratory failure.
Anabasine
- Research indicates that anabasine is a teratogenic agent but nicotine is not.

Poisoning due to consumption of tobacco leaves and stalks has been documented in cattle, horses, sheep, and swine as well as dogs and even humans (after consuming the leaves as boiled greens). <span style="color: #CC0000">Nicotine was a popular old time wormer and insecticide that occasionally poisoned livestock as well as its intended target. </span>Swine will readily eat the soft pith of tobacco stalks and extreme care must be taken to keep them from gleaming tobacco fields or discarded stalks. Deformed offspring due to ingestion of the anabasine alkaloid in tobacco have been documented in cattle, sheep, and swine. These deformities are clinically the same as those caused by maternal consumption of lupine or poison hemlock (carpal flexure, cleft palates, arthrogryposis of the forelimbs and curvature of the spine). Wild and cultivated tobaccos contain some anabasine. However, @ 99% of the total alkaloid content of tree tobacco is anabasine.

Dawn S

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM

oh my gosh,,I have NEVER heard that! sheesh, and these people believed it?
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page