How many dystemper shots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

How many dystemper shots?

I picked up my GSD from an animal shelter. He's 16 months and had proof of vaccinations and rabies shots. There was no proof of dystemper shots done. I have a couple of questions, would they have been included in a normal vaccination? Also, I've already given him one dystemper shot and one booster dystemper shot so a total of 2. And then i get a notice from my vet that Rhett is due for a 3rd shot (all within 3 wks of each other btw), does this sound like too much? I really don't know what he needs versus the vet just trying to make extra $.

any advice is appreciated!

Rhett (Jute Vom Goldberg) 3 years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How many dystemper shots?

distemper is frequently done as a combo vaccine. Do you see a DHLPP listed?

~Melinda
Halle, 7 yr GSD (dob 7/12/2002)
Serena, 9yr GSD (dob 2000, gotcha day 6/14/2003)
Remington, 9yr old, (dob 09/2000, Gotcha day Christmas 2005.)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

I love Rhett's name!! I have always said if I ever got a male shepherd that is what I would name him!

My Vet does the distemper in the combo vaccine as well. I would think if he's 16mths old he shouldn't need anymore. I could be wrong ...

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

The actual notice I got says DA2-PV (3rd). Whatever that means I just thought 3 was excessive and it's costing me $37 each time.

Thanks GSDgirlAL! I thought I was being pretty original with his name, haha. And about 2 weeks before I got him I had just re-read Gone With The Wind for the second time through. one of my absolute favorite books!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

Your dog has had enough vaccines for the rest of his life!!
There's absolutely no need for yet a third series of shots so close together, esp. since we are talking about an adult dog here.

The shots (DA PV) were likely Distemper, Adenovirus and Parvo, but you can also do a google search for pharmaceutical information.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaedchenYour dog has had enough vaccines for the rest of his life!!
There's absolutely no need for yet a third series of shots so close together, esp. since we are talking about an adult dog here.

The shots (DA PV) were likely Distemper, Adenovirus and Parvo, but you can also do a google search for pharmaceutical information.
Really? Well that's good to know. Now if i went to go board Rhett, would the 2 series of dystemper shots be enough for him (plus kennel cough & rabies shots) to be admitted in you think?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Crowned Member

Most boarding places require that your dog is "upt to date" on his yearly vaccines- but not because it's neccessary or has any scientific ground. Some kennels take in dogs with valid titers or accept waivers, but it's not very common (where I live). I don't board my pets, but hire a petsitter who comes to my house.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the info. I wish I knew someone i trusted to come over and take care of Rhett but I don't know many trustworthy dog people

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaedchenYour dog has had enough vaccines for the rest of his life!!

Absolutely agree!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

Where I board Dante they accept titers and I recently emailed another place and this is the reply I got:
"We are happy to accept dogs with titers. We are excited just knowing you know about titers!"

The exception is Rabies and Bordetella.

Also the place where I've taken Dante for classes accepts titers

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page