Shampoo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Shampoo

Hello all,

We are getting our first GSD in a couple of weeks (10 months old). What is the best shampoo out there? Is there anything else we need to maintain his coat healthy and shiny? Brand and where to purchase would be fabulous!

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Master Member

Re: Shampoo

i like mane and tail; originally a horse product; it can be purchased at your local wal-mart
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Master Member

forgot to add, get a good german grooming rake (this is where to invest a fair amount of money), and a slicker brush; i also like a horse brush (they're called dandy brushes); the 1st two help remove the undercoat and the dandy brush leaves a nice shine on the coat

furminators are nice, but pricey; if you want one, shop around on ebay for prices; they're ridiculously expensive in pet stores

don't forget nail clippers; i like the guillitine (i know i spelled that wrong, lol) type

and superabsorbent towels for after bathing to absorb the excess water

i like j-b wholesale in new jersey and buy the towels from them; you can find them online at http://www.jbpet.com; i know the owners personally; great customer service, decent prices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

HyLyt shampoo from either the Vets office or PetsMart, it's very gentle and smells really good. Right now I'm using NuSalT from the Vet. This is a medicated shampoo so I wouldn't use it unless you need too. But, if you need to it's GREAT and it smells good too. Otherwise I would recommend the HyLyt shampoo or anything that is gentle and tearless.

As far as other things you might need .. I would say get a toothbrush and start getting your puppy familiar with that, if you plan on brushing the pups teeth it's definitely something to start when they are young.

Congrats on your new puppy!!

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Master Member

A great shampoo I use is Miracle Coat brand. It has tea tree oil and is soap-free and gentle enough to use daily if needed. It's great to moisturize the coat and skin, and soothes any itchies. I also buy the leave in "lusterizer" spray that is a conditioner, also with tea tree oil in it. I always get comments on the dogs' coats after using these things.

BTW, tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic and safely deters fleas and other pests.

Here's a link (I get mine at a local specialty pet shop, though Petco/Petsmart might carry it):

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Coat-Dog-S...3461146&sr=1-12

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do to ensure a gorgeous coat is to feed a high-quality kibble (check out the feeding section for good examples) or balanced RAW diet.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Knighted Member

I like Earthbath products and Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal. I like Mane and Tail too, only used their conditioner though. Don't get a shampoo with any chemicals and I like for mine to be soap free.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

I agree with pink~~I only use Miracle coat with tea tree oil...it is an exceptional shampoo and the lusterizer finishes a perfect job. I buy the concentrated shampoo...lasts forever

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to jakobi

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ellen366i like mane and tail; originally a horse product; it can be purchased at your local wal-mart
Mane and Tail is wonderful. I use it on my horse as well as myself! It smells great too

Fine Equine Art
Jakobi Studio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page