OFA or OVC H/E xray costs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

OFA or OVC H/E xray costs

I am curious as to what your vet is charging you to have the hips and or elbows xray'd and sent to either OFA or OVC.

My vet is saying it would cost between $300 - 500 dollars and that they would have to put the dog under to perform the xray's.

I want to find out what other people are getting charged for this cost. Also I don't like the idea of having to put the dog under to perform the tests either.

So lets hear your costs

Mike, proud owner of:

Zeus: GSD
RIP - Cesar: Black Lab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: OFA or OVC H/E xray costs

wow. 1 vet was charging $175 for hips only and that was sedating. My vet raised her prices, was $90 for hip and elbows, now it's $120 with no sedation for both.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

Around here x-rays run $80-$100 per view, not including sedation.

Just noticed you're in Ontario. Your vet prices are through the roof. My cousins routinely pay two to three times as much for the same procedures as I pay here in Buffalo.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We pay $120-$150 for a set of hip and elbow x-rays from the vet. Then the OFA fee is $35.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well I just found out here in Canada that OVC will soon be discontinuing certifying H/E, they will still certify them but will be stopping that soon. I just found out from the Vet.

Are PennHip just as reliable like OVC or OFA is?

Mike, proud owner of:

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Knighted Member

Oh my I'm so lucky I'm not you guys. Here for an x-ray (good for OFA) costs only $40 -without sedation and office visit-.

The first time I got Tash's hips x-rayed my total cost came out to $144. But that included sedation, heart worm testing, x-ray cost, office visit and 6 months work of heartgard.

Brittany mommy to -
Natasha's Sweet Windsong CGC - GSD - 34 months
Sadie Lynn - Siamese - 8 yrs
Cleo - DLH kitten

"Step" mom to -
Dash - 6 yr old American Warmblood - My Dream Horse
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowAround here x-rays run $80-$100 per view, not including sedation.

Just noticed you're in Ontario. Your vet prices are through the roof. My cousins routinely pay two to three times as much for the same procedures as I pay here in Buffalo.
Yeah I noticed that...its sad that they are not regulated so different vet different price, even for exams in my area can range from 30-125 just for a check up. It is very ridiculess of the cost. I am going through the phone buck and doing a price quote and one vet wanted over 900 bucks WOW

Mike, proud owner of:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Master Member

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding:

PennHip is different from OFA in that it measures the actual laxity of the hip joint in numbers, rather than saying that they look "Excellent, Good, Fair, or Poor", based on vets' opinions looking at the x-ray.

Both are good to have done, but if I had to choose one, I'd prefer the PennHip because it supposedly helps to predict the likelihood of your dog developing HD in the future, as well as rank your dog's hip tightness among other GSDs. You also get notified if there are any arthritic changes within the joints. OFA tells you the current status of your dog's hip joints, but can't tell you if they will get any worse.

OFA has been around longer and it's still the mainstay of hip testing, so you really can't go wrong with either.

My vet in MD charged $500 for the Pennhip, which required being knocked out, because they have to stretch and manipulate the joints in a certain way to get their measurements.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ZeusofBillyJo

Yeah I noticed that...its sad that they are not regulated so different vet different price, even for exams in my area can range from 30-125 just for a check up. It is very ridiculess of the cost. I am going through the phone buck and doing a price quote and one vet wanted over 900 bucks WOW
We have the same wide range in vet prices here as well.

We could easily spend upwards of $300-$400 for x-rays in this area. That's what they would cost if we went to the vet clinic closest to us. Instead we drive half an hour to do all of our vetting with a good ol' country vet who has reasonable prices.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM

OVC will continue to do hip and elbow certifications. I guess they reconsidered their original intent to discontinue the service when breeders and fanciers kicked up a fuss. They have increased their evaluation fee.

http://hipdysplasia.ovc.uoguelph.ca/index.cfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page