What Is Your Grooming Method? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to GSDLover_Forever Send a message via Yahoo to GSDLover_Forever
What Is Your Grooming Method?

I bought this Shed 'n' Blade from Kroger. It works WONDERS! I also have this two-sided brush. It's got a soft brush one one, and a slicker type on the other side. I use the Shed 'n' Blade first, then I take the soft brush and brush some of the hair off, the the Shed 'n' Blade again, then the soft brush, etc.. I takes almost an hour to do a good job!

How about you all?

Oh yeah, I end up looking like the bigger version of a GSD afterwards!

Owned By:
Zeus: 4 y.o GSD
Buffy 15 y.o GSD Mix
Scooter 7 y.o Spaniel/Lab Mix
Ragdoll Cat, White/Tan DLH Cat, Orange/White DLH Cat
Three Mini Rex Rabbits
Three Hermit Crabs
One Hamster
Two Sea-Monkey Tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

Re: What Is Your Grooming Method?

I just give them a good brushing. I saw this thing the other day called the "Fur-minator" it looked like it would be great, but I didn't get it b/c it was a bit expensive. So, right now I just brush them a couple of times a week.

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDgirlALI just give them a good brushing. I saw this thing the other day called the "Fur-minator" it looked like it would be great, but I didn't get it b/c it was a bit expensive. So, right now I just brush them a couple of times a week.
I wouldn't think of using the Furminator, I had it and used it, but all it caused was a real pain as it caused severe split ends on the dogs so I would urge against using it

Mike, proud owner of:

Zeus: GSD
RIP - Cesar: Black Lab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

i use the furminator and love it..no split ends here! although i probably only use it once a month.

everyone will probably laugh at this..but i dont really "groom" either of our dogs. they get a bath if they are muddy, they get brushed if they are shedding alot..which really isnt that much..our older girl gsd would have tufts and tufts of hair coming off, we had to brush her all the time. I do not know if it is their food, age or what, but i really dont even brush that much ..or maybe i have just gotten more tolerant of all that hair

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to denwil2007

I got a blower. Just blows the hair and dirt right off. I heard something about germans not really washing their dogs? That blew my "show wash on a grooming table" mind. So I've been trying it out, just toweling them off and using the blower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

for show and performance
Sabian's Hot Pursuit v Southwind CGC --Chase
Bleibtreu's Ransom of Coda CGC --Chopper
T-Ho's BoclayBee-lieve in Me of Sabian-Cheetah
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

Our routine:
bath once a month
clean ears once a month
furminator once a week
dremel nails once a week
brush teeth once a week

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Master Member

I'm such a dork and love to pamper my kids:

Thorough brushing with slicker and undercoat rake once a week
Nail trim weekly

Monthly bath routine (using the grooming tub & equipment at the doggie spa we have at work):

1. Shampoo with either Miracle Coat tea tree oil shampoo, or Double-K Emerald Black moisturizing shampoo for dark and black coats

2. Towel dry, then apply Miracle Coat Leave-In Lusterizer Conditioning Spray w/ Tea Tree Oil

3. Blow dry and fluff w/ forced air dryer

4. Light spray all over with BioGroom Mink Oil spray (coat conditioner, dirt/mud repellant, and sunscreen)

4. Final spritz with Fresh n' Clean doggie cologne.

They typically don't need to be bathed that often, but they get drooled on and roll in the dirt with the other dogs at daycare every weekend, so they get pretty gross.

Jessica

Nico - 3 y.o Shiloh Shepherd, CGC

Sasha - 6 y.o adopted GSD

Mojo & Neo - ferrets
Roxy, Tater & Max - adopted kitties

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

We brush everyday - collie she sheds year round! Ozzy just likes the attention. Undercoat comb, top coat slicker...... To be honest I've pretty much given up on fighting Ozzy and Sandi on their nails, groomer's once a month, every six weeks.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I use a Kong Zoom Groom on Risa once a week. Of course, she doesn't have an undercoat.

She is bathed as needed. Usually after rolling in something gross. Otherwise, she is just wiped off or rinsed off.

I Dremel her nails every 2-3 weeks.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

I use a rake. I spritz the coat with Miracle Coat and brush. I also have a Zoom Groom, a blade, and a slicker. I never use the blade b/c it breaks the black hair that's not supposed to come out and I don't really use the slicker b/c it doesn't brush deep enough. The Zoom Groom is OK but sometimes it also pulls off the black hair. When she needs a full bath, I go to the pet store and use the station (bath and dryer).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page