Generic Hartgard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Generic Hartgard

On canadavet.com I noticed they sell Generic Hartgard called Valuegard. Anyone try this? I know generics are suppose to be the same as the original - heck I use LOTS of generics to save $$. Just wanted to see if anyone has used this and had any opinions.

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Generic Hartgard

I think it is actually called valueheart?

I have purchased form them for years and so far so good. (meaning my dogs are testing negative)

TAMMY
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 05:07 PM

I use it, actually treated my rescued cattle dog with HW on it (on vet's advice to use Hartguard/Ivermectin as treatment)... less than two years later, he was HW negative.

Sarah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member APDT, IAABC
--
<span style="color: green">Promoting all aspects of the German Shepherd Dog:</span>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Branca's MomI think it is actually called valueheart?
Tammy - you are correct - its Valueheart! I'm going to give it a shot - its definitely a nice savings!

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

I recommend it actually. I don't like using hartguard plus or interceptor etc without a reason for giving my dogs added chemicals on a monthly basis. Valueheart, iverheart, nuheart, there are a bunch of generic plain ivermectin heartguard preventatives

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Linthere are a bunch of generic plain ivermectin heartguard preventatives
Yep, I just use an ivermectin paste. Tube cost $8 and it expires after a year. I won't use 1/4 of it before that. Tricky to dose, but not impossible. I have to talk to my vet about my other dog b/c he is part Collie and I don't know if he has a mutant MDR1 gene (causes problems with ivermectin?).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

with the ivermectin paste, do you empty the tube into a bowl and mix it? Ivermectin paste that is sold in tubes for horses and cows is not uniform throughout. When you're dosing a large animal its not a big deal, but can be dangerous when dosing smaller animals. You may end up with a dose that is 4x the strength of ivermectin you wanted, and the next dose with 1/2 the strength you had wanted. I know of smaller animals that have died because of this, and I'm sure it could hurt a dog as well.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

Nope but I will now!! I use a tiny little drop, and also do yearly heartworm tests to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page