program flea control? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

program flea control?

does anyone use program for fleas? after many unsuccessful attempts using frontline plus and advantix, i think i want to try something else. program appeals to me because its given orally and my cat hates getting topical flea meds! not to mention she tries to lick it off. program says you need to have all animals in the household on it for it to work (as it sterilizes the female fleas) and since we aren't happy with frontline anyway, i thought we'd try it for mikko too.

is this product effective? and safe?

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 04:31 AM

Re: program flea control?

I use Advantix but apply it by running it up the spine from the lower back to the shoulders I found they would still get in the tail area if I applied it the way my Vet told me.

"A man must learn to understand the motives of human beings, their illusions, and their sufferings"

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

"Independent Realist at large"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

thanks, but advantix doesn't work for mikko. and now that i have a cat, i can't use it anyway.

no one uses program? : (

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

Program does what it says it does and is apparently safe. The active ingredient, lufenuron, is also found in Sentinel. But if there are any other fleas around-- i.e. squirrels, wandering cats, neighbors' pets-- then you are out of luck. I have not seen people have much success with it.
I personally love Frontline, but have had to use it every 2 weeks one year due to overwhelming fleas and ticks. And it does not last as long on cats as it does on dogs.
Mary
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Master Member

I haven't used program, but I've had good luck with Advantage (not advantix). I give everyone (including the cat) a Capstar 24 hours before I apply it. I'm in Florida with a sandy yard but I only need flea control 2 or 3 months (usually winter, go figure) of the year. It really works.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Knighted Member

Program won't work well if there is any influx of fleas since it doesn't kill fleas. There is a new flea pill similar to capstar that works for a month, but I'm not sure if there is a cat version. If Frontline isn't working you can try Advantage (for the cat). If it is applied between the shoulder blades, most of the time they can't reach it to lick it. This is why it's suggested to apply there.

Dawn M. Knight
Montgomery AL 36107
Helping Shepherds of Every Color

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Elite Member

The fleas and ticks have become immune to Frontline. There is a new product out called ProMeris that is suppose to take the place of Frontline. I have used it for two months and the scratching that they were doing before is gone.

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DogrunnerI haven't used program, but I've had good luck with Advantage (not advantix). I give everyone (including the cat) a Capstar 24 hours before I apply it. I'm in Florida with a sandy yard but I only need flea control 2 or 3 months (usually winter, go figure) of the year. It really works.
I had to take Kelly to the vet this AM for a biopsy and while I was waiting for them to take him back I noticed my bouncing baby boy was INFESTED/CRAWLING with fleas. I gave all the Hooligans a Capstar when I got home and will put Frontline on them tomorrow.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page