Trimming Nails - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Trimming Nails

How often to you trim the German Shepherd's nails? I have trimmed cats' nails and guinea pigs' nails, but never dogs' nails, especially all-black nails. I am scared to try since I was told that the only "catch" for my dog is that she hates having her nails done and might bite. I don't have a muzzle, but I suppose I could put the leash over her snout and hold it underneath. However, that makes it a two-person job and Chopper is still adjusting to my husband (she had a previous issue with men). I was at the pet store and saw that someone is doing $5 nail trimming on Sept. 8 but that seems like a looooong time. We have had Chopper for 3 weeks and usually I trim my cats' nails once a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

Re: Trimming Nails

I trim my dogs - actually puppy - nails every week. I only trim off a little each time. I work with her on laying quietly on her side for me. Each time I trim she gets a treat. Trim, treat, etc. I have been doing this for a few months.

Holly~
Tessa vom Sonnenaufgang
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

Get down on the floor and play with her feet. See how she reacts. If she is ok with it bring out the clippers. Still OK? just go ahead and tip them every couple weeks then.

Have you thought about dremmeling them? That's what I do to my dogs and they just about go to sleep while I do them, it must be relaxing for them.

You haven't had her very long so I can't say that I would push the issue yet, but at some point in the next couple of months I would say that your dog should be willing to submit to having their nails done. Do some obedience, NILIF and just get the job done. It really shouldn't be a hassle to trim your own dogs nails.

TAMMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She lets me touch her paws, but she pulls back and will sit up abruptly when I touch her pads or nails. If I try to stroke the end of her nails, she will put her mouth on my hand, not a bite, but just "nope".

Her trainer mentioned that when her previous owner/breeder's daughter left for college, a few of the dogs developed an "issue" about having their nails done (I guess she was saying that the girl always did it and they now don't like anyone else doing it).

I do want to dremmel, but haven't purchased one yet b/c if she's going to be a stinker about it all the time, I'll just pay to have an experienced groomer do it with a muzzle.

I'm just worried they are getting long b/c someone I know of who also does agility with her Shepherd cuts the nails every 2 weeks so they don't catch on the equipment. It's been over 3 weeks and last night I noticed her nails were kind of scraping on the sidewalks and she even tripped a little once.

I'm also a little scared b/c they are solid black and I don't know exactly where the quick is. Cats and guinea pigs I can do since I've done them a lot. I know it's not the end of the world if I cut her too close...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here's a link for you about using a Dremel: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html

I was able to acclimate Cassidy to a Dremel in about a week. Previously she didn't even like having her paws touched. She never tried to bite, but it took two of us, one to pin her down and one to clip. She also had dark nails and very long quicks. A Dremel makes it all so much easier. I only paid around $20.00 for mine, the Minimite cordless rechargeable model.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Crowned Member

I had my nail person pick me up a dremel at the beauty supply place. Mine took to it fairly easily, I was doing my own nails with it and of course it was very interesting to the pups Everything I do is interesting, this is why they stand to be blow dried and also why I close the bathroom door when I bathe and shower, unless they need a shower, then they can come in LOL
It is quiet, much more than the one dh has for finishing wood working and not painful or anything, once they got used to the vibrations, it was fun and easy. Problem is, I paint and file my nails every couple days, there's always a paw in my lap!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Master Member

I am so glad I am getting the pups used to this for their future homes. They are now at teh point where they will lay quietly in my arms, awake and let us clip all their nails in a minute or two. If they squirm a firm "Settle" is all it takes to quiet them to finish the job. Then they get their treat which they of course go nuts for.

To answer your questions for a pup under 10 months old I do it once a week. After that once a month. What I would do in your situation is conintrate on clipping just one nail a day if possible. Have a good toy and get her busy with playing with it. Or her favorite treat. Or give her a kong to lick out of with cheese or peanut butter while you clip the nail. They huge rewards. Just an idea.
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Amidst the confusion of the times, the conflicts of conscience, and the turmoil of daily living, an abiding faith becomes an anchor to our lives.
By Thomas S. Monson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

All my dogs both pups and adults get their nails trimmed 1 x per week. pups i use human nail clippers and adults i use a guillotine style clipper
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

Yep, that's the same for me. Once a week for my dog. I like to keep the quick as far back as possible so they always have nice short nails and no clicking on the floors.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We're going to the vet on Monday night and I'm going to ask them to do it and show me how to do it (especially if I do have to muzzle her to do it). Her nails were really short when I got her and I don't want to wait too long. Want to keep the quick back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page