Ear cleaning - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Ear cleaning

Whats the best way to clean a GSD's ears. I used to take him to the groomers but since we moved I havent gotten settled in with a new place yet. He plays outside with 2 boxers and they all get along just fine but I see hes got some dirt in his ears that I need to cleaned out. Ive never done it before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Ear cleaning

I wet baby washcloths with Witch Hazel which works pretty good! My little girls ears are especially sensitive and this has worked well. For her the brands on the market just seemed to dry out her ears too much.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: shilohsmomI wet baby washcloths with Witch Hazel which works pretty good! My little girls ears are especially sensitive and this has worked well. For her the brands on the market just seemed to dry out her ears too much.
Thanks for the responce,Ill try that.

But now I need to know in some detail exactly how to do it. I certainly dont want to do anything to harm the dog. Is there like an ear wash that would rinse out the ear??? Ive never done this before so I want to be exactly sure of what im doing before I do anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

zymox. my vet recommended this to me, good cleaner and good on yeast infections.

You can get cleanser, medicated rinse and the otic solution. My guy has yeast infections time to time to I use the cleanser, and otic solution. I flush with warm water.

Or you can just wipe down the outside of the canal as posted above

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Knighted Member

For day to day cleaning I use a baby wipe, wrap it around my finger and wipe the inside of the ear clean. You cannot reach the ear canal with your finger so do not be afraid of getting in there.

For deep cleanings or after swimming my vet told me he could sell me something or I could simply use 1/2 water to 1/2 distilled white vinegar. I squirt the mixture into the ear, rub the base of the ear around in a couple circles then release and watch as the dog shakes the stuff out.

Do not use the water/vinegar to treat an ear infection as it will HURT, only use it to *prevent* an infection or to deep clean.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

"For day to day cleaning I use a baby wipe, wrap it around my finger and wipe the inside of the ear clean. You cannot reach the ear canal with your finger so do not be afraid of getting in there."

That was my worry right there. Thanks a lot for the responces, I feel ok now about claening the ears myself. I like the idea of the baby wipes too, thats a cool idea.

thanks again everyone.

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

You mean you can't reach the ear drum.

I don't know if that's really true as I know of someone who cleaned their springer spaniels ears and the dog all of a sudden fell on the floor and was later diagnosed with a broken ear drum (which is healed again now).

I usually use cotton balls to wipe out the ears.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

In any case ill be careful. I just didnt know anything about how the ear was configured and didnt want to do anything harmful or painful to the Sarge. I like the idea of the baby wipes around the finger and just gently wiping out the outer ear area. I wont be JAMMING my finger in his ear, although sometimes the way he acts I fell like I could just push a cloth all the way through and just pull it back and fourth!!!

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Do any of you have problem holding the dog down while ear medications are applied.

MY GSD has a yeast infection and I have the medications mentioned in your reply. However, each day it gets more and more difficult to apply. I am not sure what the solution is, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

As someone else mentioned, I was also told to use a vinegar/water solution for cleaning his ears, but not until the yeast infection is cured.

Does anyone know how I can tell when the yeast infection is cured.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

Lakota had chronic ear infections for a long time, it seemed that we were treating more often than not treating, to the point that I was thinking about taking him to the Vet, knocking him out and do a deep ear cleaning with an ear flush. Pretty drastic measures.

First waht are you using to treat the ear. Next how many times has the dog had to be treated for the ear infection.

Reason I ask is the Vet kept giving me Otomax, which one wasn't working and two long term use can cause the ear drum to rupture.

Lakota (105 lbs) would see me with the stuff in my hands, he would lay down on the tile floor and pin his ear to the floor so I couldn't get it. Every try to lift the head of a large musclar male dog, if they dodn't want to cooperate. Now he will do a quick dive in his crate, I call him and he comes and sits at my feet. He doesn't love the process BUT will tolerate it.

You are saying Hey Val what did you do different.

First, I tried the product Zymox that Angela W, from the board reccommended. Then I broke out the most yummy of yummy treats, steak, roast only the best. At first I had to pick a stop at eye level for Lakota, I set a pile of treats there, let him know they were there. I took my bottle of Zymox and as fast as I could I squirted a bunch in his ear, grabbed his ear and massaged while he got to eat his treats. My first treament with Zymox I did for 14 days, OH boy when they are allowed to shake their head the junk that comes out is gross.

I still massaged the ear while he is eating his treats, but they are just dog biscuits.

I know that it is seasonal allergies that cause the problems with Lakota's ears. So you need to also figure out what is causing the problem, it could be food or it could be non food allergies. Another cause for yeast problems in the ears can be the use of Antibioitics.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page