How to prevent matting - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quinnsmom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How to prevent matting

I thought my dogs never matted until I felt a lump under my WGSL’s ear. Then I realized it wasn’t attached to anything except fur, so I tried to brush it and saw it was a small, round, knot of fur. I had to clip it off. I checked the other side and found an identical mat under that ear too. So now her hair is clipped a little on both sides. I hope it grows back. I brush her regularly but somehow missed those two spots.

Do your dogs ever mat? How do you prevent it when regular brushing doesn’t work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Master Member

I've had two coaties and know that those soft fluffy hairs behind the ears do tend to mat. If the mats are small sometimes you can tease them apart gently with a comb. Anything larger I will cut out since that area is so sensitive. Make sure your fingers are between the mat and the skin. Maybe using a fine-toothed, plastic comb for humans will get to the bottom of the fur when you groom. Have no fear about the hair regrowing, always does!!
LuvShepherds likes this.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:21 PM
Crowned Member

My first coatie had a full coat like a Collie but with the course texture of the German Shepherd. Her coat behind her ears never matted. The one I have now is more of a medium coat with a silkier texture. I am dealing with ear mats now and will probably resort to clipping them off. I don't know if there is a way to prevent them.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:24 PM

Those steel fine tooth combs work good for matting...

They also works good to remove hair from a regular dog brush as yer brushing away..... It's the ole 2 handed attack...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:45 PM

i would think that regular brushing would work if you hit the problem areas a little more frequently. i have no trouble with ears but the under belly and tail are hard for me to stay on top of... especially since the old man spends so much time laying down now. when i bathed him more regularly, i found that conditioner helped to pry apart the existing knots.

life with a coating, but so worth it!

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Knighted Member

Yes, the back of their legs seem to be worse. I try to keep those areas trimmed. Seems like they can get them overnight some days.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

For some reason, my dogs hate being brushed below their tails, and toward the backs of their legs, but I didn’t find mats there. My short hair doesn’t mat, he just sheds. I had a nice metal flea comb and lost it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page