[Help] Afraid of giving Chewables (Nexguard, Bravceto) To my dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

[Help] Afraid of giving Chewables (Nexguard, Bravceto) To my dog?

Hello Everyone, I have a 11 Month Old Mix Shepherd named Stark (30kg/66lbs). As the title mentions My dog has a lot of ticks, I Live in Sri Lanka, A very Hot country and I have a garden/backyard But my Dog lives inside, He still has like 20-30 ticks with him daily (which I manually remove Everyday)

I tried Frontline spot-on on him (which is the only tropical Available in my country), It worked for the first month but after that the ticks got a hang for it doesn't work at all. My Vet has suggested me to use Nexguard But im scared of giving him after reading the side effects but i feel like im at a loss here where my dog might suffer either way.

Is it safe for me to try it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Elite Member

I'm in a subtropical climate, and I've used Nexgard (and Sentinel) on my dog for over 5 years without problems. I don't like that I'm regularly poisoning my dog with these drugs, but if I don't the alternative is worse.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
Crowned Member

I tried Bravecto and my dog was extremely allergic to it and got skin blisters. We switched to Nexgard with no side effects at all, but he is now being tested for skin allergies so I had to stop. The vet sold me something called Vectra which is a topical and not easy to apply to a dog with a dense coat, but so far itís working very well. You canít order topicals online?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

I used Bravecto on my dogs and had no problems. I was very nervous about trying it out too but the results were phenomenal.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier

Last edited by MineAreWorkingline; Yesterday at 10:00 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM
Knighted Member

Frontline doesn't work for us either. I use NexGard, haven't had a problem, and fleas and ticks are controlled.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Master Member

Another NexGard user here...no issues with it. The ticks/fleas are very active here (North Carolina has a humid warm climate) so there's no way to do without some kind of protection.

Another option I've looked at (if you really don't like the idea of your dog eating a pill) is the Seresto collar, which the vet tech said she uses on her own dogs and likes very much.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

I've given Nexguard to many, many dogs in our dog rescue -- we have not had a single dog have a bad reaction to it. These are dogs that tend to come to us starved, sick, and with depressed immune systems -- a population likely to have a reaction if one were going to occur, but it's been very well tolerated by all of them. It's a good product!

I'm also seeing good results with Simparica (another oral medicine that works against ticks).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Interesting...am also afraid of the chewables. But I can't keep a seresto on my boys. Taking them off each other is an olympic sport.

Up here ticks are only really bad in spring and fall. I could maybe just give it then and not year round
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

I used Nexguard without issue. My puppy had hard time eating it though so I added to his treats.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 10:01 AM
Elite Member

I've used Nexguard for years no problems I can see.

I don't like giving them to them, but I know too many dogs at this point that were on topicals or natural preventatives and still got ticks and contracted various tickborne diseases, not just lyme.

What tick diseases are an issue in your area?

You can also treat your yard with diatomaceous earth if available. It will control flea and tick populations and is not harmful to pets.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in