German Shepherds Forum banner

skin question

842 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dunkirk 
#1 ·
i have a 1.5 year old gsd girl, she takes comfortis once a month and is also on the topical flea medication. i just put her on the salmon oil/omega-3 today and was wondering if that/or what else will keep her from scratching and chewing her skin? it’s not extreme but it’s noticeable. i don’t see any fleas. just maybe hot spots? i’m not sure. any and all advice is appreciated!

#2 ·
It could be dry skin so maybe give it some time since you just started her on the salmon oil, it should help after a few weeks. Also, eliminate any dead, loose hair that could be bothering her, I recommend the undercoat rake by paws pamper over the furminator. Depending on where you live the weather is likely changing and many dogs shed more during the transition period. Lastly, if she spends a lot of time indoors with ac or fans, that could cause dry skin as well. Hopefully, the salmon oil will work effectively, otherwise consult your vet on her diet, etc.

#3 ·
Per vet derms, the first line of intervention for itchiness is usually a medicated bath -- an antimicrobial shampoo will not only remove irritants she might have picked up but also knock down any staph or other nasty stuff before they can cause a hotspot.

Shampoo with 4% chlorhexidene is effective for many dogs - -just do NOT use it on the head (only shoulders or lower), and follow the bottle directions exactly. You can use this kind of veterinary shampoo weekly without stripping the coat -- it doesn't foam and is designed for frequent use for dogs with skin issues.

Look at the reviews on this to get an idea of how it works:
https://www.amazon.com/Dechra-TrizChlor-4-Shampoo-8-Ounce/dp/B00K4X8TF6/

#4 ·
One of the side effects of comfortis can be itching. Maybe try an alternative to comfortis? Also, my dog stopped being itchy when I stopped giving schmackos for treats. Any one of the ingredients may have made him itchy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.