Where to go from here? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Just to provide some perspective - these hips are rated OFA good:

It's easy to see the differences. The ball of your dog's femur is not properly seated in the socket. On the right side, it looks like the hip is partially dislocated. The sockets are too shallow, and the ball of the femur not as large as it should be.

It could be your dog isn't in pain because the hips are so far out of the socket that there is no bone to bone contact. I'v heard of that happening. But definitely this is NOT a dog that should be doing high impact sports like schutzhund.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sunsilver; 07-01-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

I think we can all agree that her hips are bad and that they are not going to improve.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Sorry Gwyllgi. That's got to be a huge disappointment. They are pretty bad already. I'd consider switching her over to something low impact. No reason she can't track, do nosework or rally maybe. I'd like to see some more muscle on her. It will help stabilize the joints. If you've got a place to go swimming, that would be ideal. Of course, start supplementing right away and keep her lean but how much that can help at this point is anyone's guess. At the end of the day, you do have to treat the dog and not the xray. I think you'll eventually have to have the right hip done. If you opt not to do a THR right now (which I wouldn't be doing yet) I'd have her re-xrayed in another year or two to track progression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:58 PM

Are the elbows also dysplastic?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah. That sucks.

1. I would start with finding a good ortho. I've always been told to treat the dog not the xray.
2. Read your contract from your breeder.
3. Keep her strong. If personal protection training and obedience are not high impact, then continue them. Many dogs with bad hips are doing IPO and agility. Keeping their muscles strong helps them support their hips.
4. Inflammation is your worst enemy. Get her on supplement and diet to combat that.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberesche View Post
Sorry Gwyllgi. That's got to be a huge disappointment. They are pretty bad already. I'd consider switching her over to something low impact. No reason she can't track, do nosework or rally maybe. I'd like to see some more muscle on her. It will help stabilize the joints. If you've got a place to go swimming, that would be ideal. Of course, start supplementing right away and keep her lean but how much that can help at this point is anyone's guess. At the end of the day, you do have to treat the dog and not the xray. I think you'll eventually have to have the right hip done. If you opt not to do a THR right now (which I wouldn't be doing yet) I'd have her re-xrayed in another year or two to track progression.
Thanks.
I'll just have to take it easy with her for now.

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
Are the elbows also dysplastic?
According to the ortho vet, they are not.

Saco likes this.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Yeah. That sucks.

1. I would start with finding a good ortho. I've always been told to treat the dog not the xray.
2. Read your contract from your breeder.
3. Keep her strong. If personal protection training and obedience are not high impact, then continue them. Many dogs with bad hips are doing IPO and agility. Keeping their muscles strong helps them support their hips.
4. Inflammation is your worst enemy. Get her on supplement and diet to combat that.
The vet is the top orthopaedic surgeon in the country.

Her trainer has suggested to keep on with her training but will customise a routine for her that will not have any impact on her joints.

My dog was imported from Germany and they don't seem to do contracts the same as the US or UK. The contract I had just stipulated that the pup was sold and received in good health. However, she has offered to give me a pup from her current litter. She is very upset over it.

Sabis mom likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Elite Member

Hips are bad for sure. I'd get a second opinion for the reason that your ortho vet is going straight for THR. Did he offer FHO as an option? Both are serious surgeries and at a high cost but there are pros and cons to each.
My girls hips are bad (diagnosed at 19 months). She already showed arthritis on her x-rays as well. My vet was conservative. Treat the dog not the x-rays. Keep her lean, well exercised yet don't over do it. Let her be a dog. She is only recently (last 6 months) started to have regular difficulty and signs of pain at 6 years.
I guess what I'm saying is sounds like you have time to weigh options and get second/third opinions on the best form of treatment.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

I'm no expert but I see the displasia in both right and left. Get a second opinion concerning the arthitis so that you don't question yourself down the line. There is a lot to consider. It sounds like you have done a great job ensuring that her hips were protected as a matter of course.

My guy is just shy of 8 and his has become painful. The difference between his X-rays at 2 and now broke my heart. If he were as active as yours, he probably would have shown signs of pain sooner but he isn't and he didn't so I just kept an eye on it. Also did the supplements, bone broth etc.

My thoughts, the opinions between Ortho will probably vary between right now or wait and keep an eye on it until mobility is affected, rate of arthritic change, signs of pain and which procedure is best all round.

my guys Ortho consult is in Sept. I'm not pushing for a sooner one because my gut is telling me not to. I started the Adequan shots. PT etc. it's helping but I'm pretty convinced that after his Ortho consult, he will be getting the THR.

Fwiw, I had a THR and revision on my right. My right was the better of my two but became horrifically painful. My left hip is still natural and going strong with no pain. My left was the worst one and looks horrible on X-ray and looking at it makes me wonder how the heck I can walk on it and it's been that way for a very long time.

I just wanted to offer some info through our hip experiences. And to validate that a bad hip isn't always painful, what is seen on film isn't always the total picture.
Sabis mom and Sunsilver like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page