Opinions on spay please - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on spay please

Dog deets: 14 months. Black gsd. 80 lbs. Female.

Issue: started bleeding 5 days ago. 1st heat. I had intended to spay her. (Be nice. I have and am being mentally punished by my own CNS.)

Question: Use the local clinic that can spay her in 4 weeks or the clinic 90 miles from me can do it in a few days from today?

ME:
gosh, if she is already being made to lay low and protected and kept isolated ... Why not make it also due to the 2 week spay recovery? You know...2 birds one stone?

ALSO ME: extra blood risk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Wait 2-3 months after her cycle when hormones have regulated and tissue swelling subsided. D your dog a favor and let her go through her cycle.
selzer and crittersitter like this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:26 PM
LRP

If it were me, I would allow her to get through her 1st heat and then spay her a few months after. You are already going through the motions might as well let her get it out of her system. She will be healthier for it in the long run. I am going through the same mental motions of the "To Spay or Not to Spay now" with our female. We do want to spay her, I am waiting as long as possible and will get through at least 1 heat cycle before spaying her. She is already such an emotional dog, we are in for a world of hurt once she starts....

A lot of people are against spaying, I understand why - I don't want to do anything to my dog either. I don't want to change her. I also do not want puppies and even if we alter our male she could still get pregnant by another unaltered male. I looked into all the alternatives to a traditional spay as well they are just not widely available and are for now very cost prohibiting for us. We can get Chon spayed for $105 at the local clinic who are wonderful, to get a ovary sparring spay would cost almost $1,000. Our male to get a vasectomy over a traditional neuter would be $800.

Its crazy - Good luck with your girl, whatever you choose to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:59 PM

Wait 2-3 months and spay her.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

Why not just wait until it's over? This isn't the end of the world. My 10 month old is in heat right now. It's not easy with an intact male in the house. He's lost is mind and won't shut up. But closing doors and rotating crates is not that hard.

Just make sure you don't leave her outside alone. And if you have males, Close the doors!
tc68, Sabis mom and Custom Billet like this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Elite Member

Do NOT spay while in heat!! The risk of serious internal bleeding is much too great!

One of my females was spayed at the proper time between heats, and even then, she bled internally. The vet had to go back in and redo the stitching on some of the blood vessels, or she might have died.
Springbrz likes this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I think I will wait until November. Can't thank you enough for replying. And for some unnecessary musing : I DO NOT LIKE THE HEAT CYCLE. I WANT BEAR SPRAY AND DOG CHASITY BELTS AND ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY HER A PRIVATE PLAYGROUND WITH ALL NUETERED DOGS THAT LOVE TO PLAY.
Jax08 and dogfaeries like this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

Although I, too, had trepidations about an intact female when I lived in the city, I found it very manageable. I spayed her at 4 yo because she had false pregnancies and behaved in a manner that gave female dogs a bad name... Current youngest is intact at nearly 6 yo. No pregnancies as of yet.

As far as "bitch britches" go, neither dog minded and the current intact bitch comes joyfully to the call "panties!" She knows she's special with those drawers. They're relatively easy to make if you sew - so we have one pair that's camouflage, the original pair that's hot peppers, and another homemade pair that's wolves.

Relax. You can handle this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:33 PM

I've had up to 5 intact bitches and 2 intact males at one time. It's all about management. The males kick up a fuss and sometimes go off their food. The bitches can get downright snappy and grumpy. Some get super clingy and lovey. It can be messy depending on the female. Some are cleaner, some not. It can be noisy and annoying. They all got used to it after awhile and the chaos died down.

It's just a couple weeks of inconvenience, strong barriers and keeping a sharp eye out for stray dogs. Glad you decided to wait until she's between heat cycles then spay. You'll thank yourself for it later and your dog will be much better off for it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 PM

We do not alter until they are at least 2, and with my current brood, I have an intact male, and 2 intact females (one senior still goes into heat, and a puppy who hasn’t). My male Husky/GSD has a very easy time when my senior is in heat. We crate him, use different areas of the backyard (multiple different fenced areas), and never let them out together.

With my female senior, she’s never had any issues either when in heat. She gets a little more clingy, but other than that, there’s almost no difference. She is very good at keeping herself and her areas clean, so we don’t need the panties. She cleans up after herself better than my kids do! However, she is the first female I’ve kept intact, and she was rescued from a breeding ring, and had countless litters before she came to me, so I’m not sure if that makes it easier with her than other females that haven’t had pups. I don’t breed, and have no intentions of ever breeding! It’s hard work, more than I’m willing to do (bad experience with my rescue and her pups), so we will either spay our female at 2yrs, or neuter our male, he’s past the two year mark. We haven’t done it yet because we have had zero issues with them both intact. We will not spay or neuter unless our male reacts badly to the pup when she does eventually go into heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page