Opinions on spay please - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:08 PM

Those darn pants. I thought we were doing good, until I woke up the other night with Scarlet sprawled next to me, and her pants on the floor.

Itís currently day 18. We are all still alive.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 PM
Elite Member

As someone who in the past had to do an emergency spay of a female in heat you don't want to go down that road if you don't have too. The long list of complications above and beyond a normal spay was a bit scary. Then add the sudden loss of female hormones while they are at high levels while in heat only complicates recovery.

It costs more. They are under anesthesia longer which increases risk. Higher risk of bleeding. Higher risk of post operative anemia due to greater blood loss. Higher risk of post op infection especially if there is anemia. Due to high vascular flow related to heat cycle complications such as post op seromas (fliud build up at incision site) is increased. We had this issue and our female had to undergo a second surgery which increased recovery time from 2 weeks to 4 weeks plus the need for additional pain meds an antibiotics. Oh and the cost of a second surgery.
If it's not necessary it's just not worth the risk for convenience sake in my honest opinion.

I'm glad you decided to wait until she is out of active heat.
selzer likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:44 AM

Shasta is going through her second heat cycle. If it wasn't for the usual cleanup of blood droplets, it is not bad at all. I like it when she goes into heat! She is super lovie, calm, relaxed, and obedient. I also have a fixed male. He doesn't really act fixed...... I still have to keep an eye on them. I waited until 18 months with him, so I think he got a good dose of the good stuff, and he knows what he is supposed to do.

She does a LOT of cleaning, so I'm not sure about panties. It seems like it may cause more problems than it fixes.

She hangs out with me in a machine shop, so dribbles on the concrete floor or in the back yard are not a problem. I can see it being an issue with someone with white carpet and an indoor doggo. That would be a mess...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:13 AM
Crowned Member

Cujo2 was neutered YOUNG. I did not have him at that time. I got him back at 18 months and you could already see how not having his hormones during growth changed him. But he ACTS like an intact dog. Hepsi is in heat. She is 8 years old and has never been bred (by someone not shooting blanks). Cujo is having a LOT of fun right now, and she is just as eager as he is. Don't worry, puppies will not be created from these two.

Girls just want to have fun?
Dogs just want to have fun.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 08:37 AM
Elite Member

Selzer, I had one of those males, too! Ranger was a mature male when I rescued him. I likely would have left him intact, if he hadn't developed a very bad case of prostatitis.

When Star came along, he didn't show much interest during her first heat. The next one....oh boy! I had to keep her crated a lot, because it is possible for the dogs to injure themselves or each other when they are tied. Heard of one very valuable GSD stud that broke the bone in his penis during sex, and eventually had to be euthanized due to complications...
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:15 AM

I spayed Katsu at 16-17 months due to brining an intact male into the household and having my husband home for the duration of her recovery before he was shipped off for 3 years overseas. I will say I originally thought having an intact female would be so difficult, but seeing that I'm almost always with her, it didn't really cause too many issues. Of course my neighbor's intact male Frenchie would squeeze through the fence to try and court her (which I would lift him up and put him back on the HIS side), but overall, that was pretty much it. She would get heat brain for a few days, but could be worked in season for the most part. I was told to wait at least 6 weeks post heat for a spay, which is a little less than what I managed before Katsu's spay.

My worry would be having both intact sexes in the same home...but crate and rotate, keeping them separate on opposite sides of the house with doors in between may make it manageable.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:48 PM

Lucky you. 1st heat at 14 months gives you time to let her mature more before spaying. I'd wait another 4-5 months before she goes into her 2nd heat if I were you and was planning on spaying her. That would put her at 18-19 months.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Selzer, I had one of those males, too! Ranger was a mature male when I rescued him. I likely would have left him intact, if he hadn't developed a very bad case of prostatitis.

When Star came along, he didn't show much interest during her first heat. The next one....oh boy! I had to keep her crated a lot, because it is possible for the dogs to injure themselves or each other when they are tied. Heard of one very valuable GSD stud that broke the bone in his penis during sex, and eventually had to be euthanized due to complications...
Well, I have had dogs get stuck in crates half in and half out trying to break out of them. I would feel bad if my dog broke his penis during sex, but I would feel even worse if I put a dog in a crate for safety and it died trying to break out to get the bitch in heat. I know, I know people with intact dogs and bitches manage to have them without anyone being injured or killed.

But, sex is natural. Dogs have sex in the wild. Wolves have sex. Otherwise there would be no dogs and no wolves. In fact, that turning so they are tail to tail when tied is a defense mechanism, where they can fight off other critters if they are disturbed while tied. So, that whole mechanism is pretty hardy. God created dogs to have sex and reproduce. So I leave Cujo2 in with Hepsi, and sometimes they go at it. I just shake my head and so far it has never been an issue.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

Selzer, when your dog is 13-14 years old, and can't climb steps anymore, but still wants to get it on with your in-heat female, believe me, you worry about his safety!

When he was younger, it was a different story, and I did let him have his way with Star a number of times, but I had Star spayed at 2 because she didn't pass OFA. That put an end to his fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page