Cost of dental exams - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I’m so glad I took her in for a cleaning. They did xrays and found cracks which we saw clearly on the xrays, most likely caused by bones or chewers. They extracted the broken tooth and sent the xrays for the others to a dental vet. They were able to save the rest. We may have to have another taken out later but for now I’m so glad I put my worries aside and had it taken care of. The cracked tooth wasn’t visible to the eye but was clearly apparent on the images. They also said no more bones. She is a vigorous chewer and it was too much impact. Fortunately the most important teeth were not affected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The cost was also substantially lower than the estimate. The estimate was worst case.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:45 PM

https://www.chewy.com/proden-plaqueo...-cat/dp/132175 works. I have never had to have a dental cleaning on a GSD. Only small dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I appreciate all the inputs but I knew something was wrong. Her ears are fine and she had been shaking her head and snappish. She was in pain for a while but because she hid it, I did not catch on right away. I’m glad all these remedies work for other dogs but each one is unique and nothing worked for her. I tried brushing her teeth and using a green gel I got a few years back and they did nothing. All the cleaners I could find would not fix cracks.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Sigh. Beau at 8 is going to need his 2nd cleaning. We started having gum bleeding with the reward tugs and there is a bit of plaque around an upper molar. I wish, as a puppy, I had him better trained for teeth cleaning/mouth management.

Tilly on same diet same chewing has zero problems with this. After the super expensive annual visit with the senior blood panel and urinalysis and, at my request, the NC state tick serology panel (they are in the woods a lot and I worry about missing deer ticks and small seed ticks)

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 AM

I just got an estimate for our boy, Jake. Jake is a golden retriever, we think he is around 5 years old, we adopted him from a rescue 3 years ago. The estimate is for a stage 2-3 dental clean, dental xray full set, and anesthesia. We are having this done while he is under anesthesia for a small lump removal. The estimate is $850 at the low end and $1203 at the high end. Oh and if we book it within 30 days, we get 10% off. Jake is raw fed and is an aggressive chewer. This is the first dog I've had to have a dental clean done. I'll be booking it next week. We'll see how it goes.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Master Member

My pittie had a dental cleaning with the extraction of a single tooth (no blood work or x-rays), and the total was about $125. From what I've heard from acquaintances around the country, that is an enviably low cost.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
How much do you usually pay for a full mouth cleaning with an anesthetic and scaling? Does your dentist also quote a price with extractions included? If they talk about extractions are they more likely to want to do them? Can an owner tell by inspection in advance if a tooth needs to come out?
I don't know about the general scaling but it was close to $1000 several years ago for our senior boxer to have most of her teeth taken out.

No, you can not tell if all teeth are bad just by exam. When I had the cat's cleaned there were 4 loose teeth that weren't bad but not really attached, plus one molar that looked ok on the surface but was bad at the gum line.

My vets have never expressed concern over my shepherds. He said that the short muzzled animals like Boxers and Himilayans are more prone to bad teeth. My shepherds get a raw diet and their teeth never needed to be cleaned.

If you don't feed raw, consider things like chicken or duck feet. Duck necks that provide a little more cleaning but not a huge bone. Or lamb necks. I like those too. The bone is porous and they can break it up. Frozen raw tracheas are good as well. Even starting now will clean their teeth up prior to a dental cleaning and possibly you can avoid one.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I was quoted $800 to $1600 or more depending on extractions but that includes another complete blood panel because the one we had earlier this year is out of date. If I had known, I would have done it then. They are going to call and let us decide if any extractions are needed. If a tooth canít be saved, we would extract, but if they arenít sure, we wonít. Her teeth just look dirty, not decayed, but she has a few brown spots on the surface that I want removed. A year ago the vet said she didnít need a cleaning. Since we stopped giving bones and hard chewers, the stain is worse.
gums bleed for different reasons. You could try the frozen raw tracheas. it's hard enough to scrape teeth but not hard enough to break them. They have to tear at it and it will soften as it thaws (which is quickly).

Or softer bones like the duck necks.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
gums bleed for different reasons. You could try the frozen raw tracheas. it's hard enough to scrape teeth but not hard enough to break them. They have to tear at it and it will soften as it thaws (which is quickly).

Or softer bones like the duck necks.
Thanks. I will when her teeth have recovered. They still want to remove an eye tooth because the root looks involved but I don’t want to put her through that again. I really don’t know what to do. All my GSD friends have said don’t do it but the vet thinks she will have worse problems if we don’t.

I do feed raw now but have been giving her THK due to her other problems. It seems gentler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page