German Shepherds Forum banner

My useless stash

907 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Custom Billet 
#1 ·
Here’s everything I use or have tried using to groom my GSD. A few vacuums are out of the picture but still getting half a handful of hair IF we pet her. What else can I try? I normally use the rake, slicker brush, and/or rubber brush 1-3 times a week. I take breaks in between brushing to use the blower and ALWAYS finish with the blower. Besides owning a GSD, what am I doing wrong to reduce the shedding. I could easily rub her and have my hand covered in hair.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is no end to shedding. If your dog is eating a good diet, you will still get shedding. I brush every night but I still get fluffs all over my floors every day. One thing about a nightly brush, it is a good time to check for bug bites, scratches, do some stretches, etc. It is a nice night time ritual.

#4 ·
I’ve started a thread similar to this before but now I’m wondering is there a different tool I should try? Most GSD owners I’ve spoken to say I shouldn’t be getting handfuls of hair. I’ve even petted other GSDs in person and have not gotten more than a couple magical fibers.

#5 ·
Intact bitches shed in "streaks" but hold their hair better the rest of the time. Spayed bitches seem to shed continuously. House dogs tend (I've heard) to shed more than dogs kept outdoors.

You are probably doing nothing wrong. But you can go mock rottie owners when they start complaining about shedding. You could also collect undercoat for either felting or spinning....
;)

#6 ·
Thanks for this info!!

I was wondering why Shasta would only shed once in a while. I keep hearing all of these horror stories about German Shedders, and I just wasn't seeing it. Don't get me wrong, when she sheds, she SHEDS! It is just not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have not, and don't plan on spaying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.