My useless stash - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Custom Billet
  • 2 Post By middleofnowhere
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

My useless stash

Here’s everything I use or have tried using to groom my GSD. A few vacuums are out of the picture but still getting half a handful of hair IF we pet her. What else can I try? I normally use the rake, slicker brush, and/or rubber brush 1-3 times a week. I take breaks in between brushing to use the blower and ALWAYS finish with the blower. Besides owning a GSD, what am I doing wrong to reduce the shedding. I could easily rub her and have my hand covered in hair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84C7BF83-A996-4F08-AB4C-26C44C2897CB_1558739378876.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	521381  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:58 PM

There is no end to shedding. If your dog is eating a good diet, you will still get shedding. I brush every night but I still get fluffs all over my floors every day. One thing about a nightly brush, it is a good time to check for bug bites, scratches, do some stretches, etc. It is a nice night time ritual.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 PM

Going to raw food really does help. Mine is blowing her coat right now because of the weather, and may be coming into her 2nd heat, but in general, it is not very bad.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

I’ve started a thread similar to this before but now I’m wondering is there a different tool I should try? Most GSD owners I’ve spoken to say I shouldn’t be getting handfuls of hair. I’ve even petted other GSDs in person and have not gotten more than a couple magical fibers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Intact bitches shed in "streaks" but hold their hair better the rest of the time. Spayed bitches seem to shed continuously. House dogs tend (I've heard) to shed more than dogs kept outdoors.

You are probably doing nothing wrong. But you can go mock rottie owners when they start complaining about shedding. You could also collect undercoat for either felting or spinning....
wolfy dog and Custom Billet like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Intact bitches shed in "streaks" but hold their hair better the rest of the time. Spayed bitches seem to shed continuously. House dogs tend (I've heard) to shed more than dogs kept outdoors.

You are probably doing nothing wrong. But you can go mock rottie owners when they start complaining about shedding. You could also collect undercoat for either felting or spinning....
Thanks for this info!!

I was wondering why Shasta would only shed once in a while. I keep hearing all of these horror stories about German Shedders, and I just wasn't seeing it. Don't get me wrong, when she sheds, she SHEDS! It is just not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I have not, and don't plan on spaying.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

Deja is on a raw diet and is intact. 3 weeks before her heat she drops her coat. An amazing amount of hair. That way she is her most sleek for the boys.
Custom Billet likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Deja is on a raw diet and is intact. 3 weeks before her heat she drops her coat. An amazing amount of hair. That way she is her most sleek for the boys.
Shasta did the same with her fist heat. Now, the weather just changed, got warmer, and we are getting close to her second heat. I don't know which one caused it, but she lost a ton of hair, and now it is tapering off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page