Dew Claw removed - Post surgery advice - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshayde View Post
Hi Guys, thanks for all your thoughts. I could totally be shooting myself in the foot here but after the day we had yesterday we just could not go on. It actually got dangerous. I was trying to restrict his activity. Only going out to potty and he was loose in the house but I did not let him run or anything. It was a disaster. By night time he was getting violent zoomies, drive-by biting, leaping over the chairs. We managed to grab him and get a leash on him but he continued to zoom. Very stressful! He had this wild look in his eyes lol, like he was seeing right through me!

It probably did 1000x more damage than a controlled walk around the block would have! I took the bandage off last night to have a look and oh my goodness we all actually started laughing. The cut was barely a centimeter long and I think I saw maybe 1 stitch. I know I don't want to push it but we are totally going for walks and I have decided to keep it dry and wrapped for about another day then see how it goes I think it will be fine as long as he does not lick it.

@tc68 - I am not sure what your vet will say but just me personally I think my take home instructions were standard for any sutures perhaps not this procedure specifically. If they removed any bone like in the front dewclaws I could understand but not this floppy little thing. At my own risk I am just keeping him as quiet as possible for a day or so then pretty much let him do whatever. Maybe no sliding for the ball though haha. Haku's was like you described "barely hanging on." I think it will be fine. Haku has not even sniffed the area, he just looks at me like "why are we not DOING ANYTHING AAAAHHH!"
Yeah, that was exactly what I was thinking. The front ones, yes...I can understand the 2 weeks. The rear ones....I don't get. Ticks hang on dogs stronger than those rear dew claws. Anyway, whatever. I guess, better safe than sorry, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

I would think if you snuggly wrap a few layers of vet-wrap over a piece of gauze he should be ready to do whatever he feels like for a few minutes. I personally (disclaimer!) would just do a test run and check if there is any bleeding. There are no major blood vessels in that area. It is just a layer of skin that has been sutured (common sense goes a long way!). I agree with OP that trying to keep him quiet for all that time is worse. Let us know. Maybe the vet techs here can chip in. And yes, the front dew claws are attached to bone so that is major unless they do it right after birth.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

So just to give an update if anyone comes across this and is interested. The vet that actually did the procedure got hold of me as I left a voicemail just double checking the post-op precautions.

She says she thinks the technician may have misunderstood her after the procedure and gave me standard suture take home instructions. She basically said after a day or two it should pretty much be good to go. I mean of course we can't do anything crazy but walking, she even said some running is fine and the obedience class is no problem. She said basically the only thing I can't do is walk him through a swamp lol.

I have wrapped it just like wolfy dog described whenever he is outside or we are walking and it's looking great. Now trying to figure out what to do with him while I work tomorrow is another story....I am too scared to leave him in his crate with the cone and am concerned that he could lick the stitches when left for long enough agh...

And on a side note, I cannot BELIEVE the difference some exercise and mental stimulation does. I literally had a different dog. After our exercise restriction incident, the next day I walked him, did a petsmart trip, rolled the ball around a bit with some obedience and he was all chill lazing around on my bed with me. Seeing that contrast so black and white sort of blew my mind. I knew it about this breed but seeing it like that was really eye opening and sort of cool to see his "bored" threshold right now so I can adjust activities accordingly haha. He is a busy guy!
dogfaeries and wolfy dog like this.

Last edited by Moonshayde; 05-12-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page