• 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By ausdland
  • 1 Post By Sabis mom
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Traditional or keyhold spay ?

Hello !

I am about to book my two year old female GS in for a spay, and find myself umming and aahing over which method to opt for ...

I like the obvious pluses of keyhole, but one comment I read somewhere was 'Insufflation of the abdomen is uncomfortable for keyhole and recovery times are similar'. Also, apparently they remove just the ovaries with keyhole but ovaries and uterus with the traditional method. Yikes !

Any advice?

Thanking you in anticipation.

This is my first posting and not sure what happens next ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:55 AM
San

My then 4-year-old Belgian Malinois had laparoscopic/keyhole spay a year ago. I initially wanted to do ovary-sparing spay so she could keep her hormones. But she developed severe epilepsy when she was 3.5 years old and her neurologist wanted her ovaries removed (since hormonal changes can potentially trigger seizures).

I thought the recovery time was supposed to be shorter with laparoscopic spay, but the surgeon still told us to keep her crated for two weeks. She recovered really well though, I can barely see her surgical scars now.

Yes, in keyhole spay, only her ovaries were removed, they kept her uterus.
sweetasHoney likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 AM

My gal went with a full traditional spay, not the ovary sparing spay since I also have an intact male in the home and her 2nd heat was tough for both of them. I had it done between her 2nd and what would have been her 3rd heat. At the same time we had a gastropexy done since she is an active busy girl. She recovered well and not longer than usual.
sweetasHoney likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Hello again,

Thank you San, and car2ner for your responses.

Gosh, excuse my ignorance, I read that the ovaries were removed with both procedures, but you both mentioned the 'ovary-sparing spay' ... I need to be more informed! Unless it is done differently here in the UK.

I have just spoken with the vet and she is not familiar with the ovary-sparing spay. Perhaps it is a new procedure here.

She kindly went through the pros and cons of traditional versus keyhole - so I am none the wiser! And yes, she agreed that recovery time is about the same.

Decisions, decisions ...

I have just seen 'Similar Threads' below so I shall read those right now!

Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Elite Member

One of my favorite topics but there are a ton of threads on this forum you can read. There are pros/cons to all 4 options, the 1st or 4th being leave her intact. Ultimately you have to decide. I was a proponent of the ovary sparing spay but ended up doing the laparoscopic ovariectomy as my dog developed a mammary tumor.
sweetasHoney likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

I can only speak to what I know and that isn't much. Of the personal dogs that I have had spayed, all were done at 2+ years and all traditional, healing time was minimal. But the real bonus was that in the process of doing the spay, other issues were found and corrected removing further complications and the need for repeat surgeries.
One had a mass that was benign, one had necrotic ovaries that made the vet look further and remove some additional tissue, one had multiple cysts that were removed. I sort of like the idea that potential issues can be caught and dealt with early.
I have an intact female now and she will likely be my last intact female over 4. As she ages I worry more and more about how far from a vet I am. The stress on me when she is in heat is crazy.
sweetasHoney likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 PM

The Ovary Sparing Spay has been going on for awhile. The idea is to keep the hormones while avoiding pregnancies and infections of the uterus. I was thinking about it but in the end chose the full spay after my gal was mostly grown. It turned out to be a good decision for us.

for more info you can look here.
https://www.parsemus.org/projects/ovary-sparing-spay/
sweetasHoney likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your comments.

'Sabis Mom', do you think your dear dogs' issues would not have been detected had they undergone a Laparoscopic spay?

("But the real bonus was that in the process of doing the spay, other issues were found and corrected removing further complications and the need for repeat surgeries.")

Also, I read that the German Shepherd anatomy can be more difficult ... that there can be negative behaviour changes after a spay ... Oh dear ... If I lived in Norway I wouldn't have this problem!!

Thanks again.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Elite Member

None of the spayed female owners I know report behavior changes. I’m happy my girl doesn’t hump dogs or her bed anymore

Yana

Last edited by ausdland; 04-16-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:20 PM

My previous females were all spay at 6 months, I had no say in the matter. They seemed to do well enough. My gal-dog is full of life and spunky, although cautious. I don't attribute that to the spay. I did see a bit of emotional flux when she was coming into her 2nd heat. Now her hormones stay level so no mood swings. I am glad that I waited until she was nearly full grown, though, since some studies suggest that it could be healthier in some respects.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page