Grief - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Grief

My German shepherd is 6yrs old and recently lost her companion. In the past 6 weeks we have seen a strange behavior. The first 2 weeks after the death, she would take the box of treats and place it in front of the back door, then take individual treats and place them in the spots the deceased dogs would sleep. Now she is getting into the pantry and taking protein bars, fruit snack and placing them in our beds, chairs and hallway. She is not eating anything just putting them under pillows and blankets through the day while we are gone. My vet wants to medicate her and we do not agree. Today when I got home I found the pizza box in my bed and the left over crust in different bed rooms and placed in chairs, she didn't eat anything just placing the food . Has anyone experienced this. Please help. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

I would not medicate her for that. That seems a bit extreme. I might talk to a behaviorist just because her actions are a little bizarre, though super interesting. Maybe just try to engage her more and take her on outings. She obviously reacting to the absence of your other dog.
SuperG likes this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

She might do well with another dog in the house. Are you thinking about getting another one? Mine perked up a lot after losing our older dog when I brought home a puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 PM

your dog doesn't know where her companion has gone and maybe shes placing the food around hoping that her companion will come back for the treats.
Sunflowers and car2ner like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. We are in the process of selling our home, both of my children graduate from college this spring and we are afraid of the stress, new home missing family members ect., will cause for stella and not sure a new puppy is the right time for her. I have asked so many and no one has heard of or experienced what she is doing, but she has always been super sensitive/ emotional dog, I just dont want to take away the protein bars and other items, if this is a coping mechanism for her. She is causing no harm, just randomly placing food in our home 😁
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

My husband said I should clarify. The dog we had to put down, became blind and diabetic, my shepherd was able to tell when he was going to have an episode and stayed with him. She would also watch over him when he was outside, kind of guiding and guarding him. So when I say sensitive or emotional, she was able to tell when he was having a diabetic episode.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:17 PM
Crowned Member

In my opinion, if she not harming, or causing harm to herself then let her be. i would just make sure anything that could hurt her is put up.
Heartandsoul and Sabis mom like this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

I agree. I would let her do what she needs to, even moving food around the room. She lost her job.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

I was going to say the same; she not only lost her friend but her job also. Maybe teach her another job that she can do at seemingly random times like picking up an item you drop and giving it back.

With her need to place food in spots where he was accustomed to being, did you ever bring him food to help with the diabetic episodes while she stayed by his side? maybe she has put her own two plus two together in hopes that will bring him back home or perhaps a need to do something that in some way comforts her and fills a void.

I am really sorry for your loss and it makes it harder seeing how strongly it affects your girl.
Jax08, momma825 and car2ner like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 03:10 AM
Elite Member

My male GSD became quite bonded to the cat I had. They used to sleep together and play together. When the cat got run over by a car after sneaking out the door one dark, foggy night, Ranger began taking bits of my dirty laundry to his bed. He didn't chew them up, just left them there.

I think it was a similar coping mechanism to what your dog is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page