Grief - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:11 AM
Master Member

I probably am thinking too much like a human...

...but her actions make sense to me in the way that she is hoping to lure her friend back. First treats at the backdoor (come in! come back!) and then putting treats in her friends' favorite places (when my friend comes in, he can go to his favorite place and rest there with a treat!). When her friend still did not appear, maybe she decided to up the ante to prized human foods - or, it became a habit and just something she found interesting to do which would take her mind off his absence.

Anyway I wouldn't be too hard on her, poor girl, but just end her access to the pantry and gently let her know somehow that I don't want pizza in my bed...and could you give her some extra play/attention/training to help her through this stage? Maybe go for walks with another friendly dog, etc? (Hopefully it's just a stage and she will accept that her friend isn't coming back, and her behavior will become more normal again!)

Then again, maybe I am being too harsh...few wrapped snacks/fruit bars on chairs and in beds is no big deal! But pizza/pizza crusts seems unsanitary, so I would at least end access to that...(as a mom of teens, one tends to develop "food hygiene rules"...)

Sorry for your loss!!
tangelo likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix

Last edited by GSDchoice; 04-06-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Master Member

Maybe not a puppy, but how about adopting a rescue? Skip the puppy stage and give your dog another companion without all the work. You don't have to get one right away. Take the time to find the right one. It could be a week, a month, or a year. Anyway, it's just a thought.
momma825 likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

Dogs grieve. I don't care who says what, it's real.
If she is causing no harm and not in any danger let her work through it. I believe that gentle is the correct approach, she is not trying to be bad she just wants her buddy back.
When Sabs died Bud tried similar behaviors. He would carry her favorite toys around, sometimes put them in spots she liked in the yard, sneak onto her bed, sit by her dishes. I remember him going to her bed the day she died and laying beside it. My other dog Shadow was upset as well but she did eventually recover, Bud never did.
I kept their routines the same and carried on as normally as I could but at no point did I stop either of them from doing what they needed to do. To my mind that would be like telling someone how to grieve and that's just wrong.
She will process this in her own way, in her own time.
Jax08, misfits and Sunsilver like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

My very comes to the house for euthanasia. When I had multiple dogs (Whippets), they were there but crated during the procedure. But allowed to see their dead buddy for several hours afterwards. One lied next to him for a while. The other one tried to jump into the grave with him. This was their leader dog and the two surviving ones went on an anorexia spree for several months. It was heartbreaking and I had trouble getting them to eat during this time But they did recover and then had to deal with a GSD pup.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

*vet comes...(spelling check error)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Grief

Thank you to everyone. It has been devastating and a relief at the same time for everyone in the family. 13 years with our first dog, who was a rescue and to watch the suffering. Anywho. Thank you for all of the comments and suggestions. We have decided to not medicate and let Stella work things out, safely. Possibly a new rescue in the future but for now its extra walks and treats and attention
tc68, wolfy dog, Springbrz and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page