Shedding out of control - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Shedding out of control

I've had my dog for over 1 and a half years now. I know that GSDs shed heavier in spring and autumn, so yes, since it's spring, heavy shedding is expected. We've moved three times so far (same city, different flats). The 1st one had dark floor, the 2nd was carpet, now our place has a light wooden floor. I don't know if it's because of the light floor that I'm noticing his shedding even more or if he is indeed shedding more than usual, but this is getting out of control.

I hoovered the whole flat spotless while he waits in the balcony. I literally just brushed him super thoroughly before I let him in, and I do brush him every other day now (instead of twice to thrice a week). But 15 mins later, the floor is flooded with his fur again. Since I've had him, I have never ever experienced his shedding this bad!

Are there any suggestion on how to keep his shedding under control? Remedies, meds, shampoo, food? Are robot vacuums recommended? I work 9 to 6 everyday and don't have time to hoover and mop everyday. The shedding has gotten really bad that I had to throw away some of my clothes because his fur were just dominating and destroyed them.

Help..........

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:41 AM
Crowned Member

We blow coats out with an airforce dryer every now and then, you'll need a place outside to do so as it will make a mess. I've used an air compressor too, however the dryer works best.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

For one, carpet can be more forgiving so far as dog hair "spotting" goes. You can get carpet that really minimizes the sighting of dog hair. It's still there but on hardwood, it gathers into dust bunnies and taunts.

Intact females blow coat about twice a year but other than that (which is pretty amazing dump) they (at least mine) shed far, far less than a spayed female.

A couple of things that help me with a more thorough grooming are: cornstarch worked in as though it were a powder you were trying to get to the skin (because it is) will ease the undercoat out; a Furminator comb. That's for my stock coats. Haven't had a long coat since I got the furminator but the corn starch worked with them. There's also the undercoat rake, a bunch of other tools and ending with a slicker brush and topping off with a standard bristle brush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Elite Member

There's a good reason the nick-name for the breed is the German Shedding Dog!

There is no magic cure to stop the shedding. I often get my dog professionally bathed and blown dry during the shedding season. It does help, as it gets rid of a massive amount of loose hair.

If you keep your dog mainly indoors in the winter, they will grow less winter coat, which will make the spring shed a bit less of a chore.

The Air Force dryer sounds like a good idea. And of course, brush, brush, brush, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! Or in your part of the world, hoover, hoover, hoover!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM

I have 2 double coated dogs (1 is GSD), and I have had varied experiences with their shedding.

Overall, my GSD has more "everyday" shedding, but neither of them have a super heavy coat blow. My keeshond used to have a couple weeks of dramatic (but controllable) coat blow spring and fall, but not anymore. I think quality of diet plays a big part in overall shedding and even how they blow their coat (my info is anecdotal at best, though); and I've heard this from other GSD people as well.

Regular grooming absolutely helps - I definitely notice the hair accumulate when I get a little lax on keeping up with brushing. What tools are you using? A good undercoat rake is a lifesaver! Nigel is right, air force dryers are the bomb. I'm lucky enough to have a local pet store that has a self serve dog wash, including a force air dryer! We use that every now and then when the weather is not-so-nice. And my sister (who has Siberian huskies) has a force air dryer that we borrow every now and again when we can use it outside.

If your boy is really, really sheddy, maybe it's worth bringing him to a professional groomer a few times a year for a "de-shed" treatment?

- Kayla

Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
― Dean Koontz
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

What are you feeding?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Elite Member

changing to raw will help. I have found brushing, blowing out, brushing again, doesn't work for us. I can't brush him to the point that few or now fur comes out. I'd be at it for hours.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I wish I could use a dryer, but I live in a flat... Taking him to a professional groomer might be doable, since I really do need professional help to get this under control!

I've been feeding him diamond naturals extreme athlete for almost 6 months, topped with fresh liver and boiled sweet potato. He was neutered 2 months ago, idk if that makes any difference.

I suppose I'll have to hoover everyday.

Does deshedding shampoo help?
When will this shedding fiasco start to end though? When summer hits in late May, you think?

I've attached a blanket my dog sometimes sleep on. I knew what I was getting when I brought him home, but the last month, it's become VERY REAL. Lol. This is after 1 night. Sigh......
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The blanket. And my dog. Who has no idea that he's a professional shedder!!! 😂
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190331_194356_vHDR_Auto_1554086980017.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	519677   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190331_170554_vHDR_Auto_1554087011288.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	519679  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
The blanket. And my dog. Who has no idea that he's a professional shedder!!! 😂

He looks pleased with himself! From the blanket photo, my dog sheds better/worse/more than yours. I run my robotic vacuum 2 to 3 times each day, every day, and it's canister is full after each session. My robotic cleaner is the only appliance I own that I have an emotional attachment to. I love that little machine.
ksotto333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in