Living in an RV/Van - Need help dealing with fur/shedding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Living in an RV/Van - Need help dealing with fur/shedding?

Hey all. As some of you know, we've been living in my van, traveling the country for about a week now. Both dogs shed a good bit, but Jax sheds a whole not more and it's a whole lot more noticeable. Other than regularly brushing him, is there anything I can do to cut down on the shedding? Also does anyone have any tips for cleaning the fur? I feel like my van is absolutely covered in it. I cleaned like 2 days ago, and it's already an overwhelming mess again.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Fun times. Best tip I can give you for removing dog hair inside a vehicle is an old sock, slightly damp. Just run it over all upholstery and plastic. Works on the dogs to. Quality food helps minimize shedding but honestly when you live in a small area the hair is just crazy.
Sunsilver and clipke like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Especially at this time of year! I moved a baby gate a couple of days ago. Was just now running the sweeper around my kitchen, and moved the gate. The amount of dog hair that accumulated behind it in just 2 or 3 days was UNBELIEVABLE!
clipke likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:03 PM

I think they also make "hair magnet" mitts just for this problem.

But such is van life!
clipke likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Fun times. Best tip I can give you for removing dog hair inside a vehicle is an old sock, slightly damp. Just run it over all upholstery and plastic. Works on the dogs to. Quality food helps minimize shedding but honestly when you live in a small area the hair is just crazy.
Unfortunately downgraded their food, at least in price. I think it's better than what they were on, but it's certainly not the highest quality food I've fed them. It's just super easy to find at tractor supplies across the country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

Walmart sells a food that is decent quality for cheap. I think it's called Pure Balance.
I feel your pain. I am in a similar situation.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:06 PM

A vac/blower could be a fast way to clean. Perhaps you could stop by a self-service car wash, with vacuums? Maybe truck stops have vacuums?

If your budget allows, you could purchase a little vehicle vacuum or a cordless tool-type vacuum.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
A vac/blower could be a fast way to clean. Perhaps you could stop by a self-service car wash, with vacuums? Maybe truck stops have vacuums?
I think this sounds like a very practical idea. Such things are usually pretty easy to find and don't take up any extra space in the van. I imagine every inch of storage counts on a road trip like this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I have a 12v solar electrical system. I was considering a 12 volt hand vacuum. We may be adding another puppy to the crew. Someone reached out to me, about a cane corso puppy who was the runt of his litter, in need a home. Dude thinks it'd be a good fit, and I'm not opposed to the idea. If that happens, I 100% need a solid solution lol.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Elite Member

Would using a painters drop sheet to cover as much surface area as practical be an option? The heavy cotton/lightweight canvas type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in