Living in an RV/Van - Need help dealing with fur/shedding? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipke View Post
We may be adding another puppy to the crew. ...cane corso...

Wowzers! I'm not sure "Go big or go home" really applies in this case...but that's going awfully big, in any case! More power to ya, if you're sure you can handle that level of challenge!
clipke likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
Would using a painters drop sheet to cover as much surface area as practical be an option? The heavy cotton/lightweight canvas type.
Not sure how practical that would be. I currently have laminate flooring, and wooden paneling for everything in terms of walls and counters, etc. We have pretty constant air flow with our ceiling vent/fan so fur gets everywhere even if we had something covering a good amount of surface area.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

K-9 Top Coat ---- they run about 90$ US each -- they're like lycra body suits for dogs. But the dogs are supposed to be comfortable in them and not over-heat. They would not eliminate shedding but would keep the fur in greater proximity to the dogs.

At this stage, I wouldn't want to be carting around a new pup, however. Not in already close quarters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:00 PM

I believe food makes a huge difference. Mine has been on raw since I got here at just a couple months old. Everybody keeps complaining about this shedding thing with GSDs? I would find a small amount of hair here and there, but not anything I would complain about. I have a sheet that I use to cover my bed. I wash it a couple times a week. No real problems.

Then Shasta had her first heat. She blew her coat and that was a MESS!!!! I figured, okay, this is what everybody was talking about! Dang! I thought I got a non shedder!

A month later, back to normal. A little hair here and there. I brush her daily of course, but she doesn't even fill the brush with hair. I attribute it to the food.

As for adding a pup, I would say no way I would even consider it! They take so much time and energy to raise them right. I don't think on the road would be fair to the pup, you, or the other 2 dogs. My 2 cents.
atomic likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

Embrace the hair. Adds fiber to the diet
Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I ended up buying a cordless vacuum. Not sure if my solar power system will be able to recharge it but it's nice and clean in here now haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

A duster buster sure can help. A canine corso pup that is a runt - those runts can get awfully big- bigger then even standard size. Kind of tight quarters for a dog that size and three can easily be a crowd. If any issues were to arise it could be a disaster. You have a good thing going. I would pass on the pup that someone is trying to unload on you.
clipke and Custom Billet like this.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
A duster buster sure can help. A canine corso pup that is a runt - those runts can get awfully big- bigger then even standard size. Kind of tight quarters for a dog that size and three can easily be a crowd. If any issues were to arise it could be a disaster. You have a good thing going. I would pass on the pup that someone is trying to unload on you.
Planning on being in a bigger vehicle, likely a bus before he's fully grown. Only reason I'm considering it!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

It is good idea to make sure you speak to some canine corso people as to where this pup is coming from and to make sure that is the right match. So many people get dogs for all the wrong reasons.
clipke likes this.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
It is good idea to make sure you speak to some canine corso people as to where this pup is coming from and to make sure that is the right match. So many people get dogs for all the wrong reasons.
I think I've decided against it. I make videos and it's already hard to record while holding the two dogs I currently have. Not sure how I'd manage with a third.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page