Affordable flea and tick meds - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Affordable flea and tick meds

Pup has been itching a lot lately cos the affects of his last meds have worn out. I'm super, super in a budget this month. Any recommendations for anything less than $55? He doesn't have any allergies. We live in LA, CA. Oral or topical suggestion is welcome. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 PM

My dog is now 3yrs old.

She started on Bravecto oral as a puppy.

Went to Seresto collar that she did not tolerate with constant scratching.
After that, our vet suggested Advantix ll. We had good success with almost no scratching.
I found and switched to Tevrapet Activate ll, same active ingredients, sold on Amazon.

Over 55lbs 4mo supply-

Advantix ll is $48.99
Activate ll is $26.98
Winner for us!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

All of these are RX only -- so your vet would have to write you a prescription to fill online:

Simparica - $39.99 for a 3-pack (each lasts 1 month):
https://www.allivet.com/p-7730-simpa...-for-dogs.aspx
(this pharmacy breaks up the large packs into smaller ones so that you can buy fewer at one time -- helpful when money is tight)

Bravecto - $52.49 for one dose that lasts for 3 months:
https://www.chewy.com/bravecto-chews...bs-1/dp/172909

NexGuard - $51.70 for a 3-pack (each lasts 1 month):
https://www.chewy.com/s?query=flea%2...submit-button=

If Fipronil still works in your area, a generic version with the same active ingredient as Frontline would be your cheapest option (under $20):
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....f-6d3b44b6323b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

Just ask your vet for one month of Advantix. They will break into a box.
JessicaR likes this.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM
Elite Member

K9 Advantix II at Petco is $28.99 for 2 pack for both the large and xtra large dog size currently online. Also, if you go into a petco store and the price is higher show them on your phone the online price and the brick and mortar store will match the online price. They don't advertise this. You have to ask. If fleas are your main problem a two pack will give you two months supply. Small print...for effective tick protection apply every two weeks.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 AM

I'm here in the Flea Capital of North America- year round fleas- Overall the best bang for your money is Seresta Collar.

Sometimes when it start to get weak- after months of use- I will still use K9Advantix II also.

I'd start w/ a collar if money is tight.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you!!!! We tried Sentry before, it did nothing whatsoever except for leaving a very stange chemical smell.

Looking into Activate II and Simparica now, hopefully it'll work. Thank you guys!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan Heidi View Post
I'm here in the Flea Capital of North America- year round fleas- Overall the best bang for your money is Seresta Collar.

Sometimes when it start to get weak- after months of use- I will still use K9Advantix II also.

I'd start w/ a collar if money is tight.
Just wanted to update- The new Seresto collar was totally ineffective for fleas after only being

on for 2 weeks. My dog was itching like crazy and when I checked I quickly found 6 fleas and

lots of flea droppings in her fur.

Contacted Bayer, the mfgr. and they were refusing any responsibility, very curt and rude.

Valley Vet is sending a replacement collar but I'm not holding out much hope. Guess I need

to go back to topical.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

OphanHeidi, that's actually great of Valley Vet to replace the collar! FWIW, I've heard that the Seresto collars sometimes fail if they're too loose due to not enough contact. They can also loosen themselves even if you put them on perfectly...and then they stop working. I was just having a conversation with a vet who stopped selling them due to this issue.

I also want to let people know that last week at Target I noticed really cheap sale pricing on PetArmor (Fipronil -- same active ingredient as Fronline) and Advecta3 (same active ingredients as Advantix). PetArmor also had a $4 rebate on the Ibotta app which bought its cost under $20 for 3 doses. These OTC generic dupes of name-brand products have ingredients that may or may not have ingredients that work in your area, but where they work they're very inexpensive. Just keep the Advantix/Advecta away from cats (it's not a good solution for dogs that snuggle with cats).

I just found out recently that I now need tick protection in my area due to emerging tick-borne diseases. Ticks historically haven't been a problem in the city here, but something has changed. I just dug into some research on it, and Simparica is apparently protecting against ticks for the full month, whereas Nexgard starts to drop off in the second half of the month...and Simparica is cheaper.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:54 AM

i dont give my dog flea medication but now i'm starting to think about it.
(have read early on when i first came to this forums some members were saying negative effects of flea meds)
anyways, my vet recommended it to me, either provecto? or frontline.

to the OP, frontline is sold at costco too, and i think that's where i'll be getting it from soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page