German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Constant topic of discussion (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/753533-constant-topic-discussion.html)

usxmarine03 02-18-2019 02:37 AM

Constant topic of discussion

I know shedding is a huge part of a GSDs biological makeup. I’ve also learned how important a furminator comb, a rubber brush, and a good pet blower is. However, I can’t remember where I read it, but awhile back I had seen that a well bred GSD does not shed daily year round. Is this true?

Jax08 02-18-2019 06:40 AM

Hahaha. No. That is not true. I wish it were.

Thecowboysgirl 02-18-2019 07:59 AM

With mine, there are definitely times when they shed more than other times. But I would say always shedding. Based on my floors? Always shedding......

car2ner 02-18-2019 08:16 AM

Someone wise once told me that German Shepherd Dogs have 2 shedding seasons, Jan-June and then July-December.

I use a simple pin brush and a human's rubber comb to go over my dogs each night. It is a chance to not only clean a bit of loose hair and dirt off of them but also check for bugs or scratches, etc. Then we do some stretching exercises.

Soldes 02-18-2019 08:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wish that was a true statement. In order to get the significant other to agree to bring Red as an addition to our family, I had to purchase a hands free dog hair specific vacuum cleaner, in order to get her approval. :wink2:

car2ner 02-18-2019 08:34 AM

Red is a HUNK! That looks like a Dyson. I was thinking of getting a Shark when our vac dies. I have an older version of the animal hair Dyson.

sebrench 02-18-2019 08:34 AM

If that's true mine must not be very well bred. ;)

Colorado 02-18-2019 09:08 AM

The good news? German Shepherds only shed once per year!

The bad news? This process takes around 365 days...

Fodder 02-18-2019 10:38 AM

There’s quite a range as far as coat quality (and coat types of course). I’m sure breeding plays a part... but I’d say diet plays a bigger part, as does grooming. My dogs blow their coats twice a year.... it can last from 3-6 weeks each dog and they aren’t on the same sqedule which I can’t quite figure out how/why. Anyway... outside of seasonal blowing, if recently bathed and regular brushing - I do have a few months out of the year where my good ol randomly bred boys don’t (or barely) shed. When my girl who has since passed was raw fed, her coat was at its best and I very rarely dealt with hair.

But man when it’s bad, it’s BAD. Went to the self service dog wash yesterday - there are 6 tubs and it was a pretty busy day. I felt so bad, every single person left with GSD hair on them once I started with the dryer. So embarrassing!

GSDchoice 02-18-2019 10:53 AM

Ha, we got lucky because our Shepherd-Husky mix follows a Husky coatblow pattern. For about a month, twice a year, it is "Furmageddon" (that's what my husband named it). Thin layer of fur everywhere...can't leave the house without lintrollering myself, or people will be grossed out and call me "the dog lady"...I can fill up half a paper grocery bag of fur every time I brush him!
Then, after Furmageddon, no more fur...phew.

I've heard that pure GSDs also have these seasonal heavier coat blows, but also shed at a moderate level in-between...:-O