Constant topic of discussion - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 PM
Elite Member

On the vacuum issue. I have 2 Electrolux bought used a few yrs ago and they are about 40 yrs or older for under 100.00 ea. Still going strong and the suction grabs the fur bunnies like no tomorrow. You can find them on cl from time to time.
Sabis mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:33 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I always feel like such a slacker in these convos about grooming, cleaning, and shedding. We vacuum once a week and I brush every few months whether they need it or not, lol.

I think it's different with longcoats, the fur tends to stay on the dog until brushed off rather than falling off all over the house and collecting as tumbleweeds in the corners. We have carpet in the bedrooms, living room, and dining room, travertine tile in the kitchen, vinyl in one bathroom, and hardwood in the front room, halls, and master bath. I do remember when we had stock coats it was different, but our floors are really not that bad even though we're not compulsive cleaners by any stretch of the imagination.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 PM

Iím a groomer, so my life IS dog hair, lol. Hair at work, hair in my car, hair at home. Itís just the way it is when you have double coated dogs.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxmarine03 View Post
I know I’ll get crap for this but I’m almost at my breaking point. Over the course of 20years I owned 6 APBTs and never had to clean up after them as much as I have this one dog in 2 years. It is truly downplayed in any description of any article,how much German Shepherds shed. I love showing my dogs attention, hugging, and petting them but indoors it’s hard to be affectionate to my GSD because how much hair disperses. Only time I play with her is outdoors, which is limited. I’ve gone through 4 vacuums including my $700 dyson pet vac. I’m on my 5th vacuum now which is ok so far but no miracle. I don’t considering myself a neat freak but I also don’t like to be covered in dog hair constantly. The xpet 6hp grooming vac I just got is also useless. There’s no end or no way to combat this. Great breed great personality but definitely not an indoors dog. Unless you like eating hair
Well, first, if you've gone thru 4 vacuums including a Dyson in just 2 years you have a quality control problem or an OCD problem not a dog hair problem. I've had my Dyson for years with 2 shepherds and a husky.

I've had Boxers and Dobermans. They had just as much hair. It was just smaller and embedded in everything.

I'm not giving you crap. It just truly sounds like you don't have the tolerance for all the hair and that is more of a priority to you than the dog. Perhaps you should go back to APBT's. Not everyone is cut out for every breed.
Yep being clean is more of a priority for me unfortunately. I do take good care of my dog. Lucky for her she’s still a house dog and and that’s with me having a yard big enough for her. All in all, I had no idea what I was getting into with the shedding and I had heard the term German Shedder. No one mentioned that this was an everyday occurrence by the boat loads. I’ll go back to feeding her raw and see if that helps. Even then I had to brush her 3 days per week for nearly 2 hours at a time. Any idea what’s the best brush? So far the furminator short coat rake seems to be the best. She does have a short coat but not like a czech working line GSD. Just a tad longer.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:53 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I haven't heard of the dryer you have, this is the one I have and it's great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it since July 2016. When I put it on my Amazon shopping list it was selling for around $170, and I wasn't ready to spend the money so I was just saving it for later. Not long after, I was browsing the saved items on my list and saw that the price had dropped to $121.49, so I ordered it immediately! It blows out an incredible amount of fur, and can be used after a bath to dry the dog, or on a dry coat. The first time I used it on Keefer I did both - I blew him out first, gave him a bath, then blew him out again to dry him fully. Outside, of course, you don't want to use this thing in the house.

Other than that, my tools of choice are an undercoat rake, and a slicker brush. I have a self cleaning one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Self-Cleaning.../dp/B000YIWVA0

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxmarine03 View Post
Yep being clean is more of a priority for me unfortunately. I do take good care of my dog. Lucky for her sheís still a house dog and and thatís with me having a yard big enough for her. All in all, I had no idea what I was getting into with the shedding and I had heard the term German Shedder. No one mentioned that this was an everyday occurrence by the boat loads. Iíll go back to feeding her raw and see if that helps. Even then I had to brush her 3 days per week for nearly 2 hours at a time. Any idea whatís the best brush? So far the furminator short coat rake seems to be the best. She does have a short coat but not like a czech working line GSD. Just a tad longer.
There is being clean and there is clean. Many of us have clean homes and don't eat hair.

Feeding raw makes zero difference.

I like the rake and comb. The furminator is for pulling undercoat when they are really blowing coat or you haven't brushed in a while.

I have an Air Force blower, 2sp, 4HP. it will help but you have to do it outside.

I think your best bet is to find a vacuum attachment or send her to a groomer once a week for a bath and blow dry.

As far as a Czech working line having short hair...the "line" they come from has nothing to do with whether they have a tight or plush coat. It has to do with direct ancestry. My boy has a tight coat. he doesnt' shed any less.
tc68 and Sabis mom like this.

post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

I've had Boxers and Dobermans. They had just as much hair. It was just smaller and embedded in everything.

I'm not giving you crap. It just truly sounds like you don't have the tolerance for all the hair and that is more of a priority to you than the dog. Perhaps you should go back to APBT's. Not everyone is cut out for every breed.
I couldn't agree more. I had Great Danes and so did some of my friends. That hair sure was the worst. They shed more because the growth phase of the short hair is shorter than that of dogs with longer hair so the cycle completes itself faster resulting in more shedding. The texture is also very course and it does embed itself in everything. It won't vacuum or tape off. I found myself picking each and every individual hair by hand off of my furniture, clothes and carpeting. My Dane owning friends did the same.
tc68 likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:00 PM

Nope, donít use a force dryer in the house. Itíll end up like this, lol

Cassidy's Mom, tc68, Jax08 and 3 others like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Well, first, if you've gone thru 4 vacuums including a Dyson in just 2 years you have a quality control problem or an OCD problem not a dog hair problem. I've had my Dyson for years with 2 shepherds and a husky.

My Dane shed worse then any dog I have met. Course hairs that wove into things and could not be remove by means known to man. I don't see how that hair could be compared to the delightful dust bunnies that drift across the floor. I also owned Staffies and AmStaffs and found the same thing. Little short stabby hairs that could penetrate any fabric at will.
Of course I am crazy and dog hair is a non issue in my world. Dogs never complained about my hair on things either.
Jax08 likes this.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Nope, donít use a force dryer in the house. Itíll end up like this, lol

My wife did this inside our house and it looked like a hair bomb went off. Works great to remove loose hair and other debris, but for sure it's an outside tool only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page