Constant topic of discussion - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Will my puppies shedding become worse? Heís almost eight months old, and he has what Iím told is a tight coat. He is my first GSD. He does definitely shed, but thereís hardly any more hair to sweep up than before with just my two other short haired dogs. I recently bought an undercoat rake for him and not much by GSD standards comes out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Thereís quite a range as far as coat quality (and coat types of course). Iím sure breeding plays a part... but Iíd say diet plays a bigger part, as does grooming. My dogs blow their coats twice a year.... it can last from 3-6 weeks each dog and they arenít on the same sqedule which I canít quite figure out how/why. Anyway... outside of seasonal blowing, if recently bathed and regular brushing - I do have a few months out of the year where my good ol randomly bred boys donít (or barely) shed. When my girl who has since passed was raw fed, her coat was at its best and I very rarely dealt with hair.

But man when itís bad, itís BAD. Went to the self service dog wash yesterday - there are 6 tubs and it was a pretty busy day. I felt so bad, every single person left with GSD hair on them once I started with the dryer. So embarrassing!
Ha ha. Hilarious. I used to take my previous one to the self service wash too. He was long haired and every time we were done, there were hair and fur all over the floor, the walls, the tubs, and even on the ceiling. (It's the exact reason why I didn't wash him at home.) I felt so bad that someone had to clean it up and embarrassed and I always rushed to get out.

Over his lifetime I was able to save a large lawn garbage bag full of his hair and fur. (That's not all of it, just some of the hair that I brushed and saved.) I've heard of ladies that have small businesses that take dog's hair and fur and make yarn out of it and then knit or crochet scarves, hats, gloves, etc. It's a good keepsake and another way to remember your dogs besides urns and pictures. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. It's still hard a year later to even look at his pictures, let alone wear a scarf made of his fur.

The current dog is 13 months old and I started saving his fur/hair (from brushing him) from day 1. He's not a long haired GSD, just a normal coated GSD. So I've only been able to save half a small plastic shopping bag in the year that I've had him.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

I know I’ll get crap for this but I’m almost at my breaking point. Over the course of 20years I owned 6 APBTs and never had to clean up after them as much as I have this one dog in 2 years. It is truly downplayed in any description of any article,how much German Shepherds shed. I love showing my dogs attention, hugging, and petting them but indoors it’s hard to be affectionate to my GSD because how much hair disperses. Only time I play with her is outdoors, which is limited. I’ve gone through 4 vacuums including my $700 dyson pet vac. I’m on my 5th vacuum now which is ok so far but no miracle. I don’t considering myself a neat freak but I also don’t like to be covered in dog hair constantly. The xpet 6hp grooming vac I just got is also useless. There’s no end or no way to combat this. Great breed great personality but definitely not an indoors dog. Unless you like eating hair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:24 AM

If you watch Animal Planet the Dogs 101 show does warn that they do shed a lot all the time.

I am thankful that with mostly hardwood floors I don't go through too many vacuums. The important thing is to make sure you have a strong motor and clean the dust trap frequently. And then cuss under your breath when you see a fluff float across the floor you just finished cleaning.

To be fair I had a short haired smaller dog and a long haired cat and I still got fluffs all over the house. Swept every day.

https://www.gocomics.com/dogsofckennel/2019/02/20
atomic likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by car2ner; 02-21-2019 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added funny comic
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 AM

Iíve never had tumbleweeds, but I swept every day even with my shorthairs. I canít imagine having strictly carpet, as it is a bit more challenging to clean up my bedroom as opposed to the rest of the house that has wood floors.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM

They shed a lot. I swear by my Dyson cordless though... Best purchase ever! Makes vacuuming 4-5x a day fun
tc68 likes this.

--
Michelle
Iry, mixed breed, CGC
Max, GSD, CGC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 05:37 PM

I have a couple Dyson cordless vacs also. Love them! I have wood and tile floors, with limited carpeting so it's super easy to clean up. I just run the Dyson around once a few times a week and it keeps it in check. My pupper is only 10 months so I'm pretty sure I've had it easy so far!
mchcthrn likes this.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxmarine03 View Post
I know Iíll get crap for this but Iím almost at my breaking point. Over the course of 20years I owned 6 APBTs and never had to clean up after them as much as I have this one dog in 2 years. It is truly downplayed in any description of any article,how much German Shepherds shed. I love showing my dogs attention, hugging, and petting them but indoors itís hard to be affectionate to my GSD because how much hair disperses. Only time I play with her is outdoors, which is limited. Iíve gone through 4 vacuums including my $700 dyson pet vac. Iím on my 5th vacuum now which is ok so far but no miracle. I donít considering myself a neat freak but I also donít like to be covered in dog hair constantly. The xpet 6hp grooming vac I just got is also useless. Thereís no end or no way to combat this. Great breed great personality but definitely not an indoors dog. Unless you like eating hair
I had a Bissell upright, bagless that I got on sale for about 50 bucks. Lasted me 4 years. As I wander through Walmart, if I note them on sale, I grab one. Been doing this for over 10 years. I have two, brand new, never opened sitting in a trailer at the moment. Drive belts break every 6 months or so, a bag of them is a couple bucks, takes 10 minutes to change most of which is finding a screwdriver and before I toss the vacuums I strip them for parts since I keep buying the same one.
Up until a couple years ago I had multiple dogs. Dog hair? No problem. I don't own any blowers or dryers or stuff. Wire brush, shedding rake and I use the upholstery attachment with the vacuum sometimes. They like it.
Vacuum once a day, brush every couple days, use dryer balls in the dryer to knock hair off jackets and sweaters every few days. They lay on couches, sleep in beds. Shadow spends time in motels with me and the only comments I get are that she is awesome.

EVERY single site I have found jokes about the shedding. Yes they shed. A lot. the name German Shedders is pretty well known and it's how we track other owners. Checkout line conversation, looks at my jacket "Shepherd?" I look at his "Yup. You to?"
car2ner likes this.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM

Sheba was shedding quite a lot back in the fall, but these past 2-3 months she has been dropping almost no hair at all! Even while petting her, she seems to have almost no loose hairs; if I were to tug on her coat, I might... might... get 1 or 2 loose hairs. I can't allow myself to get too excited though, as spring is fast approaching!!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji

Last edited by camperbc; 02-21-2019 at 07:45 PM.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxmarine03 View Post
I know Iíll get crap for this but Iím almost at my breaking point. Over the course of 20years I owned 6 APBTs and never had to clean up after them as much as I have this one dog in 2 years. It is truly downplayed in any description of any article,how much German Shepherds shed. I love showing my dogs attention, hugging, and petting them but indoors itís hard to be affectionate to my GSD because how much hair disperses. Only time I play with her is outdoors, which is limited. Iíve gone through 4 vacuums including my $700 dyson pet vac. Iím on my 5th vacuum now which is ok so far but no miracle. I donít considering myself a neat freak but I also donít like to be covered in dog hair constantly. The xpet 6hp grooming vac I just got is also useless. Thereís no end or no way to combat this. Great breed great personality but definitely not an indoors dog. Unless you like eating hair
Well, first, if you've gone thru 4 vacuums including a Dyson in just 2 years you have a quality control problem or an OCD problem not a dog hair problem. I've had my Dyson for years with 2 shepherds and a husky.

I've had Boxers and Dobermans. They had just as much hair. It was just smaller and embedded in everything.

I'm not giving you crap. It just truly sounds like you don't have the tolerance for all the hair and that is more of a priority to you than the dog. Perhaps you should go back to APBT's. Not everyone is cut out for every breed.
Nigel, Sabis mom and JessicaR like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page