Constant topic of discussion - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
I felt so bad, every single person left with GSD hair on them once I started with the dryer. So embarrassing!
Don't feel bad, it's an honor! :-)

Sometimes I think my dog thinks, "Yep. That must be my owner. She's the one wearing my fur!"

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:55 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I'm not a fan of the furminator, but a good undercoat rake is a must. And if you can afford a forced air dryer, those are fantastic too. I've had GSDs for over 30 years and just got a dryer a couple of years ago and I don't know how I lived without it. I was initially put off by the price of the better ones but the found a Metro Air Force dryer on Amazon for $120, around 1/3 of the usual retail price. Keefer is 13 years old and does not tolerate brushing well anymore but he loves to be blown out. And when Halo got DM and was having twice weekly swim sessions for around a year, it was indispensable. They'd towel dry her there, but we'd bring her home and thoroughly blow her out when we got home.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I recently purchased a 6hp xpower pet blower so I’ll see how that works. I do groom her appx 2X per week but seems like it doesn’t help much. I see pics of other dogs online and I scan them for hair in the background but I never see anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Don't feel bad, it's an honor! :-)
Except they were mostly non shedding doodle owners, lol
Sabis mom likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usxmarine03 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I recently purchased a 6hp xpower pet blower so Iíll see how that works. I do groom her appx 2X per week but seems like it doesnít help much. I see pics of other dogs online and I scan them for hair in the background but I never see anything.
I call bs. Photoshop.
It would not be a meal or an outfit without the doghair.

Shadow, and all previous, definitely go through dog building season twice a year but the rest of the year is just random loose hairs on the floor, and my bed, and the couch, and my jacket.

There is a reason they call them German Shedders.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxmarine03 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I recently purchased a 6hp xpower pet blower so I’ll see how that works. I do groom her appx 2X per week but seems like it doesn’t help much. I see pics of other dogs online and I scan them for hair in the background but I never see anything.
I call bs. Photoshop. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
It would not be a meal or an outfit without the doghair.

Shadow, and all previous, definitely go through dog building season twice a year but the rest of the year is just random loose hairs on the floor, and my bed, and the couch, and my jacket.

There is a reason they call them German Shedders.
I got my girl professionally groomed once last year and it was the first time in 2 years we didn’t see a single hair for 3 days. She was in our bed, on the couch, and in my lap. I took her back to that same groomer the next month with high hopes but nope was disappointed.

However, I follow a few dog pages on IG and the owners along with the background are always clean. I too call BS
Sabis mom likes this.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Katsu started blowing her coat in the middle of last month so I sweep/Swiffer about 2/3 times a day. She really doesn't shed to bad otherwise as I keep up with her grooming. I use a comb with rotating pins to pull the loose undercoat out. It seems to be less irritating on the dog, and does a great job.

My shiba inu is constant shedding (think Husky). He's terrified of the blower and I don't have the willpower to work him through it, so I'll just brush him when I can. I'll need to invest in another charger for my Roomba so the middle level of my house can stay clean

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Rumo would tolerate the Furminator but every once in a while, he would wave his mouth at me to say "go away, you're bugging me."

By accident, I found that my husband's wide-tooth comb worked just as well to get undercoat out...and strangely, Rumo LOVES to be combed. He treats it like Spa day...he sighs, stretches out flat, and falls asleep. Being able to comb him out thoroughly, cut down the fur in the house down by 70% I think! So now the expensive Furminator was replaced by a 99 cent comb...hmm.
readaboutdogs and Sabis mom like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Thereís quite a range as far as coat quality (and coat types of course). Iím sure breeding plays a part... but Iíd say diet plays a bigger part, as does grooming. My dogs blow their coats twice a year.... it can last from 3-6 weeks each dog and they arenít on the same sqedule which I canít quite figure out how/why. Anyway... outside of seasonal blowing, if recently bathed and regular brushing - I do have a few months out of the year where my good ol randomly bred boys donít (or barely) shed. When my girl who has since passed was raw fed, her coat was at its best and I very rarely dealt with hair.

But man when itís bad, itís BAD. Went to the self service dog wash yesterday - there are 6 tubs and it was a pretty busy day. I felt so bad, every single person left with GSD hair on them once I started with the dryer. So embarrassing!
Consider the GSD hair a free sample
Sabis mom likes this.
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Master Member

I could clone my dog every day with the hair he sheds. If I donít vacuum every day, it looks like I live in a meth house (or what I assume a meth house must look like...lol). Itís like watching Hoarders only with nothing but dog hair filling the spaces. I canít remember the last time I cooked, where dog hair wasnít a side dish...sometimes the main course. I wish I loved non-shedding breeds. But theyíre either ugly to me or too small.

I had a Dyson that was wonderful. But I moved to Florida and didnít want to ship it. Iím an idiot. Iíve never had a vacuum that lasted more than 2 years before. I got a shark when I moved, and it lasted a year and a half. Itís a shame because I loved their lift away technology for ceilings, etc. So much easier for tight spaces than the Dyson. I went back to the Dyson Animal and I LOVE it. I will never stray again. Lesson learned.
Sabis mom, car2ner and sebrench like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page