What to do about ticks - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

What to do about ticks

Hey Everyone! So West has had a tick or two in the past, I go to Petsmart and buy some treatment off the shelf and that normally works. This is like an every other year process. However, in the last couple of months, he has had multiple ticks and I’ve treated him multiple times and nothing! I’ve called his vet and no recommendations. Has anyone been is this situation and have any recommendations? Also, what about stuff to spray around the house? Thank you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

I would not but flea/tick no name or generic preventive at PetSmart. Advantix 2 multi helps prevent fleas, ticks, mosquitoes. Frontline is another that prevents fleas and ticks. Depending where you live. Frontline no longer works for fleas in my area. It is something you get at the veterinarian office. A few privately owned specialty pet stores may sometimes sell them behind the counter. I don’t spray the yard. There is wondercide suppose to be good for your yard and do helps with Fleas and ticks naturally.
https://www.wondercide.com/?utm_sour...FcVbhgodmr4OqA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-11-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Nexgard has been working for us so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

Our rescue uses NexGard too -- it's RX only, from the vet (but if your vet doesn't stock it, they can write you a prescription so that you can buy it from an online pet phramacy, or even at Costco's pharmacy). Each dose lasts for a month. As soon as the ticks attach, they die.

If you want something OTC (not from the vet), you might try a Seresto or Scalibor brand of collar. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE CHEAPER ONES! These are the "next generation" of flea/tick collars, that most people find pretty effective. They are not the same thing as the cheap ones sold at places like WM! Seresto is labeled for 8 months of protection and sells for about $58 (though you can often find them on sale or use coupon codes to buy them):
https://search.entirelypets.com/search?w=seresto

The main ingredient in Frontline (Fipronil) does not appear to be effective in all places -- it's the "old generation" of products that seem to have resistance developing in some areas. The manufacturer claims that's not a real thing, but the local vets I know here will not use it because they've seen it fail to work even on fleas.

I'm honestly surprised that your vet didn't have a tick solution to offer you. Parasite prevention is pretty basic veterinary medicine. The only time I would know of a vet not offering a recommendation is if your dog hasn't seen them in a while, and you're due (or overdue) for a visit. Sometimes they may want to run a SNAP 4D test for tick diseases if you've been finding them attached, depending on the incidence of those diseases in your region.
GSDchoice likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-11-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Master Member

We've used Frontline/ Plus and /or Advantix/2 both have worked really well for us over the years so far.....i will say the last time we bought either product our vet said he had some clients that had issues with them not working---I stuck with them because they work for us. Our dogs are in a fenced area when outside and I don't put down anything inside the fence but outside the fence gets dusted yearly for Japanese Beetles/grubs it also gets rid of fleas and ticks.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane'sDad View Post
We've used Frontline/ Plus and /or Advantix/2 both have worked really well for us over the years so far.....i will say the last time we bought either product our vet said he had some clients that had issues with them not working---I stuck with them because they work for us. Our dogs are in a fenced area when outside and I don't put down anything inside the fence but outside the fence gets dusted yearly for Japanese Beetles/grubs it also gets rid of fleas and ticks.

Frontline plus worked for me 2 yrs ago when I spotted some fleas, but it completely failed this year when I tried it. Had to go with nexguard on the dogs and charistin on the cats. It worked good, but holy smokes the charistin stinks. We are in western WA. We havent had any tick problems but nexguard is supposed to work on them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:28 PM

We are in northern California and use Nexguard as well, on our vet's recommendation.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Wow, Magwart pretty much said it all! Great post. :-)

another Nexguard user here...vet wrote it down at first vet visit and gave us a 3 month supply. Chewable pill, I mix one in his dinner on the first of each month. buying online saves a few bucks ( your vet has to approve).

A woman in pet shop raved to me about the seresto collar, she loves them. So I am eyeing them but think they are kind of ugly...but definitely that would cost a bit less.

Those tickborne Illnesses can be nasty in both dogs and humans...don’t want to fool around with those!

Depending on where you live, check the flea/tick season? For us, it is year-round :-(
In our region, I might possibly dare to skip January? but it is not recommended.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 AM

We also use Nexgard and it works great.

The breeder for the new puppy we're getting swears by garlic powder in her dog's food. We're going to try that with Jack...and maybe increase our garlic intake as well.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
The breeder for the new puppy we're getting swears by garlic powder in her dog's food. We're going to try that with Jack...and maybe increase our garlic intake as well.
Yikes! Don't do that...

Quote:
Garlic belongs to the Allium family (which also includes onion, chives, and leeks) and is poisonous to dogs and cats. Garlic is considered to be about 5-times as potent as onion and leeks. Certain breeds and species are more sensitive, including cats and Japanese breeds of dogs (e.g., Akita, Shiba Inu). Toxic doses of garlic can cause damage to the red blood cells (making them more likely to rupture) leading to anemia. GI upset can also occur (e.g., nausea, drooling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea). Other clinical signs of anemia can also occur including lethargy, pale gums, increased heart rate, increased respiratory rate, weakness, exercise intolerance, and collapse. Signs of garlic poisoning can be delayed and not apparent for several days. While tiny amounts of these foods in some pets, especially dogs, may be safe, large amounts can be very toxic.
Source: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/garlic/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page