What to do about ticks - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 AM

From: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...gs-eat-garlic/

Quote:
How much garlic is toxic to dogs?
Studies have found it takes approximately 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilograms of body weight to produce harmful changes in a dog’s blood. To put that into perspective, the average clove of supermarket garlic weighs between 3 and 7 grams, so your dog would have to eat a lot to get really sick. However, some dogs are more sensitive to garlic toxicity than others, and consumption of a toxic dose spread out over a few days could also cause problems.
Per the first sentence's estimate:

A 90-pound dog would have to consume 1.35 pounds (204.1 cloves) of garlic in one sitting to be poisoned. This is assuming the lowest amount required for poisoning and the lightest weighing cloves.

Math:

Dog weight: 90lb = 40.82kg
Garlic rate: 15g / 1kg
Grams of garlic for dog weight: 15g * 40.82kg = 612.30g
Grams to ounces: 612.30g = 21.60oz
Ounces to pounds: 21.60oz = 1.35lb
Number of garlic cloves (assuming lightest): 612.30g / 3g = 204.1 cloves

This is why I'm always skeptical of claims that something is poisonous for humans or animals without any "dosages" listed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
This is why I'm always skeptical of claims that something is poisonous for humans or animals without any "dosages" listed.
For sure. I suppose I should have added caveats to my post.

Anyway, I guess what concerned me was adding garlic powder to a dog's kibble every day starting when they are a puppy. Puppies aren't 90 lbs dogs (yet). You are probably right that in small doses it is fine. I just wouldn't choose to do it thousands of times over the lifetime of a dog.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
For sure. I suppose I should have added caveats to my post.

Anyway, I guess what concerned me was adding garlic powder to a dog's kibble every day starting when they are a puppy. Puppies aren't 90 lbs dogs (yet). You are probably right that in small doses it is fine. I just wouldn't choose to do it thousands of times over the lifetime of a dog.
Yeah, I agree. Puppies also don't get flea and tick medicine until they're 6 months old either, so I'm certain the reasoning is quite similar.

I'm not sure how often garlic powder is needed to establish the natural repellent in the skin. I don't think you'd need it for every single meal, but I don't know. I have to research.

For now, though, I'm more than happy to increase the garlic in my human diet if it means the ticks will leave me alone and stop creeping up my legs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
Yeah, I agree. Puppies also don't get flea and tick medicine until they're 6 months old either, so I'm certain the reasoning is quite similar.

I'm not sure how often garlic powder is needed to establish the natural repellent in the skin. I don't think you'd need it for every single meal, but I don't know. I have to research.

For now, though, I'm more than happy to increase the garlic in my human diet if it means the ticks will leave me alone and stop creeping up my legs.
I've heard that pickles repel mosquitoes, too. Frankly I love garlic but it hasn't stopped ticks from grabbing hold of my pant legs. I find spraying Sauers's on my pants works so much better. I can"t use avoiding bugs as an excuse for having that extra helping of garlic bread and shrimp scampi.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

When I lived in central Arkansas what I did about ticks was:

keep my lawn mowed (never had ticks at the house)

after a trip to the barn (dogs accompanied me) we picked ticks and dropped them in a vile of rubbing alcohol (because water doesn't kill them rubbing alcohol does) before the dogs loaded up to come home. at home, we searched for more ticks and did the same procedure. No noxious chemical on the dogs, no noxious chemical in the yard. It was time consuming. (I also picked ticks off the horse) Thanks for the memories....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page