Anesthesia Dental Cleaning for 10+ Age GSD - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,735
Mine had to go under for an extraction when she was 11. She did fine. She broke a tooth and there were shards.

Her teeth are MUCH more brittle than they used to be. I have to be very careful that she does not chew the younger dog's chews. She gets a senior kong every day with part of her meal because she still enjoys chewing she just can't chew hard things.

She has a little slab missing from one of her molars too but my ver examined it while she was under and said he thought it was better to leave it since it was shallow and he said the tooth was basically intact. Apparently extracting a molar is a really big deal

She has broken and had removed two of her little front teeth (each one to the inside of her canines. She doesn't seem to miss those.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington St.
Posts: 6,824
If the blood was coming from the actual tooth and not just form irritated gums, then there is most likely pulp exposure. The break can be a direct route for bacteria to enter and cause infection. When my girl broke her canine the pulp was visible due to significant damage and the vet put her on abx until we could get her into the dentist.

While she was under anesthesia the dentist called to asked permission to pull an incisor that was damaged from some unknown previous event. The X-ray showed a “halo” around the root location which was sign of an infection. Poor girl we had no idea. Good luck, hope all goes well.
Nigel is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckzx View Post
I will look into that, thanks for the article as well. To be honest I was a little shocked about how cheap this procedure is. Has me wondering what the quality is. It was $195 for the exam and blood work yesterday. The anesthesia is $100 and the dental cleaning is $100. If extraction is needed, it is $11 per tooth.



Look for a "Board Certified" in your area.


Mine was around $978.00 NOT including pre-surgery blood work!!!


Dentist Bill: Name:  Vet Dentist.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  129.3 KB



Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member
 
LuvShepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckzx View Post
I will look into that, thanks for the article as well. To be honest I was a little shocked about how cheap this procedure is. Has me wondering what the quality is. It was $195 for the exam and blood work yesterday. The anesthesia is $100 and the dental cleaning is $100. If extraction is needed, it is $11 per tooth.
That is unusually low. I was quoted a much higher amount for a cleaning, and even more if extractions are needed.
LuvShepherds is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member
 
LuvShepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post



Look for a "Board Certified" in your area.


Mine was around $978.00 NOT including pre-surgery blood work!!!


Dentist Bill



Moms
That is close to what I was given as an estimate. Her teeth need cleaning but don’t look like extractions are necessary. I put it off due to other ongoing health problems.
LuvShepherds is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 1,119
All our senior dogs have been put under anesthesia for different things, dentals, xrays, etc., the oldest being 12. All did fine. One of my gsd, Cody, did seem like it effected him more. He would come home and sleep VERY heavily, like his eyes almost seemed to sink back, kinda freaked me out, he would be fine the next day. I had never heard of MDR1 then, but now after I had learned about it, it does effect 10 percent of German shepherds. Now I wonder if that's why he'd sleep so heavily after a procedure. Maybe not, he was never tested for the gene. My other dogs, Clipper the gsd and Moo, non gsd, never slept like that afterward. I had read about MDR1 researching collies.

Last edited by readaboutdogs; 02-01-2019 at 08:29 PM.
readaboutdogs is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 9
Blood results came out fine, almost perfect the Dr. said. The certified dentist closest to me doesn't have very good reviews. Going to have a full set of x-rays done. Everything is scheduled for next week. Yeah the pricing does seem low, although my dog's last anesthesia was an emergency surgery for a ripped ear (had to stitch it back together) and it was only about $500 bucks.
Reckzx is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Member
 
NaughtyNibbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 197
It's probably good that you are proceeding with the dental care. Unfortunately I didn't notice my prior dog, Becca, had a damaged tooth until she had some facial swelling. At that point, she had an infection and other teeth were involved. She ended up seeing a doggie dentist, had to have several teeth extracted, with a bill of around $3,500.



I was surprised that Becca didn't appear to show signs of a problem, prior to the swelling. Her appetite was fine.


I'm thinking I'll likely do some proactive dental care with my puppy, Cassie. I know with even the best efforts, dogs can end up with damaged teeth. Hopefully with periodic exams and cleaning, I can prevent a situation that affects several teeth.
Reckzx likes this.
NaughtyNibbler is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member
 
Magwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNibbler View Post
I'm thinking I'll likely do some proactive dental care with my puppy, Cassie. I know with even the best efforts, dogs can end up with damaged teeth. Hopefully with periodic exams and cleaning, I can prevent a situation that affects several teeth.

Yep, I've ended up being convinced cleanings really are necessary in most dogs (at least the ones eating kibble), after having senior problems in dogs that didn't have them, in the past. The bacteria from gum disease almost certainly shorten lives too. This article is interesting, on the difference in life span:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/e..._health?page=2


It seems like it really starts to matter around age 3. By that age, 80% of dogs have gum disease starting. That's when they start accumulating lots of tartar, if they're fed kibble. We actually were taught to use the tartar build-up on the back molars as one of the markers to "age" dogs that "look" young in rescue--if it's there, the rule of thumb is they're at least 3.

If you want to be conservative with cleanings (and anesthesia), and your dog is an enthusiastic chewer, there's an argument that you don't have to do it every year, even on an adult kibble-eater -- if you regularly offer healthy chews to help clean the teeth and scrape the gums. (For my dogs, that means an occasional raw frozen edible bone, like a chicken drumstick or turkey neck, or a chicken foot, or beef trachea tubes, and beef bully sticks.)

Since my dogs are chewers, and based on how they present, my vet has approved my dogs being in an "every few years" rotation--he checks the teeth during their annual exam, and when they're showing build up, we schedule the dental. Sometimes that means every other year, sometimes every 3, but we base it on the individual dog.
Reckzx likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-02-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Magwart is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Yep, I've ended up being convinced cleanings really are necessary in most dogs (at least the ones eating kibble), after having senior problems in dogs that didn't have them, in the past. The bacteria from gum disease almost certainly shorten lives too. This article is interesting, on the difference in life span:

https://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/e..._health?page=2


It seems like it really starts to matter around age 3. By that age, 80% of dogs have gum disease starting. That's when they start accumulating lots of tartar, if they're fed kibble. We actually were taught to use the tartar build-up on the back molars as one of the markers to "age" dogs that "look" young in rescue--if it's there, the rule of thumb is they're at least 3.

If you want to be conservative with cleanings (and anesthesia), and your dog is an enthusiastic chewer, there's an argument that you don't have to do it every year, even on an adult kibble-eater -- if you regularly offer healthy chews to help clean the teeth and scrape the gums. (For my dogs, that means an occasional raw frozen edible bone, like a chicken drumstick or turkey neck, or a chicken foot, or beef trachea tubes, and beef bully sticks.)

Since my dogs are chewers, and based on how they present, my vet has approved my dogs being in an "every few years" rotation--he checks the teeth during their annual exam, and when they're showing build up, we schedule the dental. Sometimes that means every other year, sometimes every 3, but we base it on the individual dog.
If you brush your dogs teeth they do remarkably better. I have a 12 year old dog who had her teeth cleaned as a courtesy during that extraction at age 11. They really had no tartar buildup at all, and that was her first and only cleaning in her life. Every vet she has ever been to remarked about how clean her teeth are.

Now my boy is 3 1/2 and he does have some small stains in one side but it is nothing like the buildup I see on my boarder dog's teeth and my dogs don't have bad breath.

We brush with CET. My old yellow dog adopted at age 3 and started brushing, he never had to have a cleaning and he passed at age 10 from cancer with pretty clean teeth, healthy gums, and nice breath.

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 02-02-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teeth Cleaning without Anesthesia GSDAlphaMom Basic Care 6 03-14-2012 01:08 PM
Max's Dental Cleaning KSdogowner Health Issues 8 02-28-2012 07:56 PM
Worried about anesthesia and dental jaggirl47 The Senior Dog 7 07-30-2009 05:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome