Too much physical exercise?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Too much physical exercise??

Iím having some issues with figuring out a good routine for my 9 month old working line gsd puppies. Layla and Odin.

I usually take them to the dog park for around 30-45 minutes where they are running around playing with each other or other dogs pretty much the whole time. There are small hills they run up the side occiasionally.

I try to aim for at least 5 days week of the dog park. Unless it raining here in Socal (which it will be for the next 5 days)

The issue is my male, who is currently weighing around 76-78 pounds, has been whimpering and easily hurting his front leg. Even the smallest movements indoors makes him cry out if its too sudden, even when heís not even being active.

Is this possibly do because of too much exercise?

They also play around a lot inside the condo. We have very open space. Heís usually playing fetch with the ball inside or wrestling with his sister.

We are taking him this weekend for an X-ray just to be safe.

But In general what where most of your puppies doing for exercise around this age? Should I cut back on the amount of time heís at the dog park each day? Should I do more unstructured walks? (Letting them stop and sniff things and taking on a walk solely for the purpose of letting them have time to sniff/go where they want). We usually only walk to and from the dog park which is usually very structured where each walks next to me and we go straight to the park.

I decided to skip the dog park today and instead work on some training on leash out doors.

Heís very active at the dog park and even in the house. We have low couches but he go on and off throughout the day. He doesnít jump because they are low enough for him to step on and off of. But we are constantly engaging both of them

Iím just always worried they arenít getting enough exercise or they are getting too much.

As far as mental stimulation I do try to have small session each day (some days Iím unable to with both mine and my fiancť work schedule).

Iíve just recently cut back drastically on my work hours, so I am going to be taking them for an eval and with with a personal trainer who specializes in working with the breed.

I know theyíre smart and pretty good for house pets, but I need help working with and training them on their obedience to take it to the next level. Iíve taught them all I was able too. Overall they are good dogs, but I know I can tap into more. Plus I want to build a stronger bond.

Once the Iím working more actively with training, will they require less physical exercise? I know this breed requires a lot of metal stimulation as well.

Sorry if Iím all over place, Iím just a worried dog mom whose trying her best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:16 PM
Knighted Member

At 9 months my dog would run for hours daily, though I don't think it's a necessity. 30 minutes of good off leash exercise is sufficient. I also do short training sessions indoors every single day. Doesn't take much time really 5 or 10 minutes a couple time a day. It definitely kept her more sharp, and seemed to help her be more calm overall too.
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 AM
Crowned Member

Maybe Panosteitis, growth issue in many GSD males at that age. Your vet will give you more info.
das1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:02 AM
Crowned Member

Both my dogs ran around a lot at that age on soft ground. It’s possible he could of injured himself or pano as mentioned. Pano is painful inflammation that i have seen it cripple large young dogs but it does goes away and seems to have a range of severity. I can only imagine it to be hereditary even though it’s said to be unknown. What kind of food do you feed? Check the paw pads and in between something could be in his pad also. Keep your pup quiet until xrays are done.
das1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:02 AM

I agree with Wolfy Dog - take him to the vet to have him checked out. It sounds like Pano to me too.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

It was Pano. He’s on rest and some medication for the next 7-10 days. Which is hard with a dog with as much energy and drive and this guy. Thank you everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page