How do you wash your pet? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
From the trails when water is close by, retrieving from the water and voila, clean smelling dog! Yesterday she lagged behind on our property and came back holding 'something'. I knew that there were fleecy toys left out. It was a rotten squirrel skin; the remainder of somebody's meal. She dropped it on command . By the time we were back inside I had forgotten about it. She never smelled bad and I didn't get sick. I think we worry too much about 'dirt'.
I have a rosemary bush to wipe my hand in and over their neck if a filthy scent doesn't get out with spot cleaning. Then forget about it.
Valor had a FIELD DAY playing in the downpour we had the other day, apparently those Kong rope animals are more fun when soppy wet. I just let him go for it and have a ball. When he came in did a quick towel dry and crated him to chill out and dry out while I was making dinner. Brushed him next day, His coat was so soft and beautiful after. He smells...and I know this sounds weird...warm and nutty lol
Sabis mom likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Valor had a FIELD DAY playing in the downpour we had the other day, apparently those Kong rope animals are more fun when soppy wet. I just let him go for it and have a ball. When he came in did a quick towel dry and crated him to chill out and dry out while I was making dinner. Brushed him next day, His coat was so soft and beautiful after. He smells...and I know this sounds weird...warm and nutty lol
I do much the same. Towel off followed by a good brush the next day. Bud had maybe 5 baths in his whole life and Sabs maybe 4. I always thought Sabi smelled like a warm blanket. I loved it. Shadow always seems to smell faintly of grass or leaves? Bud had a doggie/musky odor that while not pleasant wasn't offensive. It simply wasn't soothing like the girls.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:08 PM

I wash my dog every week to two weeks with a special blend of shampoo I have created.

The ingredients are: Dr. Bronner unscented shampoo, organic coconut milk, organic witch hazel, organic aloe vera juice, organic green tea, organic avocado meat, jojoba oil and Eucalyptus oil for a beautiful fragrance.

I've tested it in our campus Chemistry lab and it's typically ~7.8pH.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:20 PM

Jack generally gets washed with Mane & Tail when he starts smelling ripe--about once a month. In the winter, we fill up a 5-gallon bucket with warm water for rinsing and a 1-gallon pitcher for washing. The rest of the year, we use the garden hose.

In warmer months, we sometimes wash him even less as we'll take him to the lake to go swimming for a redneck bath.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Pushing through or playing in deep snow makes their coat look and feel great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page