How do you wash your pet? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:22 PM
Master Member

I must be in the minority, haha. I don't bathe my dog often myself, only when her coat feels really gross to me because of her being out and about doing dog things. She sleeps on my bed, so I don't like having her smell. But I do have her professionally groomed twice a year. Once before winter, once during spring. I like to help along any major coat shedding.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
Funny thing is that sometimes I still feel pretty bad and if I have extra time, I clean up a bit for them
You are a nice person. The last time I went to ours, I had my 1 year-old and 2 year-old in the double stroller. I was hurrying to wash the dog and get out before the kids got restless. I can't remember if I gave the tub a courtesy scrubbing or not!
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM

Both of my Shepherds love to roll in moose poop or bear poop. The moose poop is usually on the dry side but is sometimes runny, bear poop is almost always runny. What we did was to buy one of those cheap plastic play pools at the discount store for like $5.99 or so. It's about a foot deep and maybe 5 ft in diameter. We have a hot/cold water tap in the garage so we hook up a hose and fill up the "pool" in the driveway. We toss one of their balls in there and start the washing.

Kerstone's Meister Jager Geist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 PM

I put Dean in the tub, then I sit on the edge of the tub with my legs in the tub, and him between them. He then sticks his head under my armpit, and I take the shower head, wet him down, soap him up, rinse him off, then let him out to run around the house a few times while I change my soaked clothes lol
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I bathe Shadow once a year, just to get rid of the last of the winter itchies. Usually in June or so and outside with hose and bucket.
Sun dries her and the grass helps. I never understood the whole bathing thing.
Me Too! My hose nozzle has a shower spray. Fast and easy, when it's hot, once a year.
Sabis mom likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 PM
Elite Member

Hose, shampoo, hose.
Mountain lakes and rivers are best.
Sabis mom likes this.

Yana

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:47 PM

We probably Bath Diva too often. At least once a month sometimes more if she's sloping around in the mud or in salt water. She a weird dog....loves the water. So bath time is no problem. Actually it's a treat for her. I just put an extra long hose on the hand-held shower head. She saw the water on (testing for leaks) and she started getting excited because she thought she would be getting a bath.

We've been using "Paws & Pals" Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner that we got on Amazon. She smells good and seems okay with.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:01 PM

With great difficulty.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

I only bathe if something awful happens. Even if he gets muddy, I let him dry in his crate then give him a good brushing. I find a grooming regiment coupled with good diet keeps them smelling good, and like a dog but not "doggy".

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I only bathe if something awful happens. Even if he gets muddy, I let him dry in his crate then give him a good brushing. I find a grooming regiment coupled with good diet keeps them smelling good, and like a dog but not "doggy".
From the trails when water is close by, retrieving from the water and voila, clean smelling dog! Yesterday she lagged behind on our property and came back holding 'something'. I knew that there were fleecy toys left out. It was a rotten squirrel skin; the remainder of somebody's meal. She dropped it on command . By the time we were back inside I had forgotten about it. She never smelled bad and I didn't get sick. I think we worry too much about 'dirt'.
I have a rosemary bush to wipe my hand in and over their neck if a filthy scent doesn't get out with spot cleaning. Then forget about it.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page