How do you wash your pet? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
I use a self service dog wash (mainly for the power dryer and to pass off clean up duty) about twice a year, located in one of my local pet stores.
Otherwise walks in the rain and swims in fresh water streams/lakes suffice.
One of the boys has bed and sofa privileges, so I prefer clean smelling dogs.
They eat well and get brushed regularly, that all helps too.
I use a self-service dog wash also because I hate the clean up. We go about once a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
I use a self-service dog wash also because I hate the clean up. We go about once a year.
Funny thing is that sometimes I still feel pretty bad and if I have extra time, I clean up a bit for them
Sabis mom and sebrench like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

Zoey gets a bath 1-2 a month. It’s not really a bath as much as it is a treatment for her allergies. I just tell her to get in the tub and she jumps right in which is remarkable as she really doesn’t like it. I use either the air compressor or the force air dryer to blow out Tuke and Rangers coats. That generally keeps them clean and they look great too. Most of the places they swim in the warmer months helps with the upkeep as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Only when/if necessary with this breed.

~ Greg C. ~
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Well, being blessed/cursed with a white dog, we wash him about once a season ( if he looks grayish and smells strongly doggy ).

We tether him to the back deck railing with his nylon leash, hose him down, shampoo with dog shampoo, rinse and let him shake shake shake!! Then a long walk in full sun finishes the drying. If cold weather, the hose is connected to kitchen sink for warm water ( $3 adapter ).

( I did think about bringing him in shower with me, but having no clothes and being in close quarters with a large animal that doesn’t really like baths...I felt nervous about that! Also thought he might slip on the slick shower floor, or get scared in the enclosed space. )

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 PM

I just got back from washing the dogs. I’m a groomer, so I have access to the shop. I’d rather have a sharp stick in the eye, than bathe my own dogs. If they’re being shown, they get bathed more often, but it seems like they get a bath about every 3-4 months.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

I like mine bathed once a month but realistically it's never more than once every two months. Just too labor intensive. They go in my tub and I use the detachable shower head.

I like good smelling dogs. Also, if they are blowing coat it helps so much to get the hair out. And my white dog gets this kind of clumpy undercoat sometimes that I can't seem to brush out. But he gets a bath and a good blow dry and his coat will look really nice and groom easily for awhile after that.

I love my blowdryer, partly for getting the hair out and getting them dry but also it helps me see their skin as I'm doing it and sometimes I find little things I'd missed.

Sometimes I use grooming wipes in between baths.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:04 AM
Master Member

I live in an apartment. So there's no option to bathe him outside. I did NOT know there's a thing called 'self-service pet wash.' So I thought either I have to pay $60 and up everytime he needs a bath (once every 1 to 2 months), or I just use my bathroom which always turned into titanic everytime. Then I found out about the self-service. So I always go there whenever he needs a bath. Plus they have the equipments needed, including and most importantly the big blow dryer.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Oh, forgot to add that I used the Cowboy Magic Rosewater shampoo on the girls, and they smell so clean.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

Right now I totally love Earthbath Mango Tango conditioning shampoo. I think I got the name right. I got a sample in a goody bag from a trial, and I love it. It lathers up and spreads through their coat so quickly and easily. because I bathe more frequently than some I would usually apply conditioner too to be sure I'm not drying them out. I really like the Earthbath conditioner except that it is just a bear to rinse out. Before, I was using another earthbath shampoo which smelled nice and seemed soothing to their skin but hard to distribute through the coat without wasting a bunch.

So this new mango stuff is great. It spreads easily without wasting and it definitely leaves them shiny and does not seem to dry them out.

I also have this Earthbath spray conditioner/detangler that smells super nice that I use between baths to be sure they are not dry and it does really seem to help with grooming afterward. Vanilla almond. Love hugging them in bed when they smell like that!

I am always trying to save for a dog tub of my own...someday I'll get one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page