Argh!! Can't get the ear drops in! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:29 PM

My Shepherd won’t allow me to put drops on his ears either, he gets very stressed. I have been using a powder “Elsie’s ear powder”. It fixes his ear problems and he loves it. I use a blusher brush with a small amount of the powder and brush it into his ear. He actually pushes his head into the brush. I am in Australia, you can find it on google search. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yep the bottle of Zymox otic enzymatic cleaner is what our vet gave us! My administrations have not been expert, but his ears already look less “pink” and more pale...it’s a good sign.

I really hated doing thise ear drops!!

So After this, I am going to wipe his ears every couple of weeks or so with coconut oil...online reading said it is antibacterial and antifungal and healing...who knew! I always have a jar of it in the kitchen cupboard.
He enjoys ear rubs...so no muzzle needed for that, phew. 🙂
GatorBytes likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

I think you'll have better results wit Zymox cleanser regularly than CO.

I've read the Internet claims about CO over and over, and when something gets repeated often enough online, people just assume it's true. So I went looking for the evidence supporting it.

The evidence of CO being antibacterial/fungal is actually pretty thin -- there's a little out there, but it's not nearly enough to justify the certainty of the Internet claims. I was pretty disappointed with what I found. (I don't count mags like DN as science (they write so much dubious stuff that they count in the "untrustworthy" camp for me...I want to see research papers published documenting the claimed effects)).

There's a paper out there that says that purified MCT and found that high levels of lauric and capric acids inhibit growth of c. diff in vitro (i.e., in a glass dish, not on or in bodies -- esp. not in places with vast ecosystems of bacteria like intestines or skin). That makes people jump up and say "those are in coconut oil, so surely we can just use coconut oil!" Nope! The same study actually tested virgin coconut oil too. The same effect was NOT found in virgin coconut oil itself -- only when it was processed and "lipolyzed." The levels of those fatty acids in the actual natural oil appear to not be high enough to have an effect. So you can get the effect from things processed and derived from it, but not from the CO itself. Let me repeat that: NO ANTIBACTERIAL EFFECT WAS FOUND IN COCONUT OIL ITSELF.
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24328700

There is one study that I could find on skin that had a positive effect on skin bacteria, and it had exactly 26 test subjects who slathered on coconut oil. They did find a benefit in reducing staph (but so did olive oil to a lesser extent).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19134433

And there are also some promising developing-world studies from researchers in Nigeria and India that found very helpful effects on bad microbes.

Right now, the claims are way, way ahead of the quality of the evidence IMHO. Lots of extrapolation is being done from conflicting vitro tests and very small-scale skin studies. There may be something there that's effective against some-but-not-all organisms, and it may be found in some-but-not-all forms of coconut oil. Right now, though, it seem pretty speculative to me. I say that hoping that more research gets done, but for now, I feel like there are better options for ears out there!

Here's a human derm's easy-to-read explanation for the confusion about this:
https://www.futurederm.com/coconut-o...antibacterial/

Pediatrician's research review:
https://pediatriceducation.org/2016/...cterial-agent/
GSDchoice likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 01-05-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

I solved that by feeding mine coconut oil rather than putting it on their skin. I saw some reduction in scratching and that’s about it. I like Zymox too. Mine hate ear drops. One allows it, the other can’t tolerate that or topical flea meds, but we are working on it. I cried when I finally got him to accept spray on Veterycin on his stomach and groin, It took a lot of patience and daily application and massage. His aversion wasn’t due to anything I did but mishandling at a previous vet office. I will never allow him to be taken out of my sight again!

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 01-05-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

My last gsd was bad with infected ears I would wrap the bottle in on hand and yummy snacks on the floor. Anything powder works nice for dogs who are drama queens. Zymox works great and their ear cleaner to. It has saved me a trip to the vet- red bottle. I have run out of ear cleaner a few times and used coconut oil in a pinch to wipe out ears and apple cider vinegar diluted with water as a routine wipe out works good. I use coconut oil on dremeled nails as moisterizer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-05-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page