Argh!! Can't get the ear drops in! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

We had to do ear drops a couple months ago, moo, non-GSD. He is going thru some senior stuff right now, so not very rambunctious any more! I sat down on the floor beside him, leaning against the couch, put my arm around his neck, or put his head in my lap, held that ear with that hand, put the drops in, massaged them in, then I usually had to just move on his other side and repeat for the other ear. Easier than trying to get him to move and get him back laying or sitting down! He's not a fan either of medical stuff, but like said before sometimes everybody has to do things they'd rather not!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 04:22 PM
Elite Member

Oh and I let him do the head shake before doing the other ear!! Seemed like after he was able to do that he could "stand" the next ear!! Lol!!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

I taught Seger to put his head on my leg. "head down" and play with his ears. Then they let you put the drops in because they think it's just a thing.
Stevenzachsmom and Aly like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I just do it and get it done. I don't make a big issue out of it. Eyes, ears, orals, wounds, dogs, rabbits horses - have what I need ready and work fast. I feel like they don't have time to think about it and stress over it. Sure, when it's over, I tell them how good they were and give them a treat.

Oh, with Shelby, I use the phrase, "Mommy see." She stops in her tracks and lets me see whatever body party I need to see. lol!
Aly and Sabis mom like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Stevenzachsmom; 12-30-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I just do it and get it done. I don't make a big issue out of it. Eyes, ears, orals, wounds, dogs, rabbits horses - have what I need ready and work fast. I feel like they don't have time to think about it and stress over it. Sure, when it's over, I tell them how good they were and give them a treat.

Oh, with Shelby, I use the phrase, "Mommy see." She stops in her tracks and lets me see whatever body party I need to see. lol!
HA! Make that body part. It is NOT a party.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the different methods!
Seems like everybody found a way to work for their dog (some are actually quite cute :-)

Hmmm, ok, I think we will proceed like this:

muzzle & leash on > relax, few treats, happy time > calmly shorten leash to hold him in position and put ear drops in > jackpot treats after each ear!! > muzzle off > go for walk

The muzzling is because he airsnapped at me (not my face, but at my hand holding the eye drop bottle).
I don't hold it against him - he was clearly saying: "Get that thing away from me". I don't think he does it because he doesn't respect me. He does it because he's afraid.

I think the muzzle will also help ME to act more relaxed.
I think that I was approaching him with kind of a grim apprehensive medical face before (if you know what I mean) and trying to get it over with as fast as possible.

All I can say is, Thank Heaven it's only once a day!!

And, vow to clean/check his ears more!
I thought pointy-eared dogs didn't get ear infections so much, but Rumo's ears are super-furry so apparently that's a risk factor.
The tip about coconut oil is really interesting. I am going to look into that and maybe use it as "ear cleaner"...
love the idea of using something natural/holistic to clean his ears!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

And I wanted to add...I watched a video on "how to put ear drops in for dogs".

There was a calm golden-retriever type dog there. She sat there calmly while the person flipped up her ears, administered, and massaged. She didn't even move her head!!
She was like: I totally trust Humans. I will let them do Anything to Me...:-))

Rumo is like: I only trust My Humans. I will not let anybody else do a Thing to Me!!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

After you are done with whatever your vet prescribed, check out Zymox ear products. I honestly swear by them for dogs with problem-prone ears.
http://www.zymox.net/pet-ear-health.html

The Zymox enzymatic cleanser is fabulous -- you dribble it in, massage the ear, let them shake, and done. It doesn't sting like alcohol or vinegar cleaners.

I also LOVE the Zymox Otic solution with hydrocortizone (blue bottle): at the first sign of a problem (ear batting, in my dog's case because it either hurts or itches), we apply it for a week following bottle directions. It's eliminated the need for ear vet visits for this old dog. It's seriously good stuff and reduces the need for antibiotics.
dogfaeries likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-31-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:34 PM

We use the Zymox cleaner at the grooming shop. And I have the Zymox otic on hand at home. This stuff is magical.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM

My girl's littermate's owner douses a big cotton ball with the ear cleaner, puts the cotton ball into the ear and squeezes it out in there, then wipes it clean. He doesn't get a reaction to that with his pups. I haven't tried it myself but maybe it's worth a shot? I second or third the Zymox Otic solution. I have something similar at home that does not sting and it makes the cleanings less stressful for all.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung RATI RATN RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page