CBD oil - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

CBD oil

I am thinking about getting CBD oil to help manage Zelda's anxiety and stress but I don't know where to begin! What is a decent wont break the bank but still works brand? I was looking on Amazon and there are so many choices, they all have mixed reviews some say they work others say don't waste your money. I need to find something to at least get her through this 4H season with my daughter, then she can retire and just enjoy her walks, and maybe some fast cats (she loves that). My daughter isn't too happy about it because she loves to show her, maybe if we can get her to a state that she doesn't stress out maybe she can continue to show?

I don't know what else to do for her, she has totally turned around with the problem we had with her getting ready for a walk, but she is still anxious when we take her to new places, that are indoors, (she has no problems with walking in new places) I took her to the vets to be weighed and then to the video store yesterday, and both places it was heavy panting and whining and pretty hard pulling on the leash, and it isn't like there was a lot of people there, we was the only ones in the vet office besides the woman behind the counter and only 3 people total was at the video store and we was no where near them.

I have been trying to figure out why the change in her behavior (she never was this bad before) and the only thing I can think of is it started after she got her hips x-rayed, is it possible the anesthesia caused this, maybe that combined with the fact she went into heat 2 weeks later?

I appreciate any and all tips, I just want my girl to be happy again.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Crowned Member

I would just caution reader's on the quality of the product that you purchase.

Per AKC.org/Dr. Klein: there are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing CBD oil. Not all oils are the same; youíll want high-quality CBD oil to have a better chance of it working.
  • Look for organic. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides, or solvents.
  • Donít price shop. The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. You donít want to go for a cheaper option that could have toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides, or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
  • Get the analysis. The manufacturer should provide a certificate that tells you the amount of CBD that is in the product. Many CBD oils contain only small amounts of CBD. Youíll also want to make sure there is little or no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in the product.
  • Buy CBD as a tincture. You can buy dog treats containing CBD, but the best form to administer is a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dogís dose drop by drop.

The brand I use for our girl is $70 for 1 oz/500 mg. tincture (or $35 for 1 oz/200 mg. tincture) derived from whole plant, full spectrum, high quality CBD Hemp. CBD Isolates are not used. It tests at 26% CBD, and is an organic, therapeutic grade "gold oil".
(Suggested dosage is .1mg to .2mg per pound)

https://sourcecbdhemp.com/

If she is THAT stressed I would caution you on showing her.

Best of luck!
Moms
GypsyGhost and JessicaR like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Find the company that provided Colorado State University with their CHO.
https://cvmbs.source.colostate.edu/p...als-promising/
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/07/...-cbd-oil-dogs/

That bottle in the second link is what I have. I can't remember the name of the company though.
JessicaR likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Knighted Member

It might also be worth trying Endurapet Calming Plus. A friend's dog was being treated for anxiety with CBD, and though it worked well, it was expensive. Switching to the Endurapet product was equally effective - if not more so - in treating his dog's anxiety, for less than half the cost!

https://www.endurapet.com/products/p...s-calming-plus
JessicaR likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I will look into these products!

I am not looking for a miracle but just something that will help her be calm again. I know she probably shouldn't be shown anymore, but my daughter doesn't have any other dog she can show other than the guide dog puppy she is raising, with him that would limit what she can do at the fair. Last year Zelda was not this bad, she even placed at state fair which is pretty good considering the amount of kids that compete. Worse case scenario, the medicine doesn't help at all then we will opt to have her judged on a different day where it is just them, she wont be eligible for awards or for state fair but at least she will get a grade.

She is getting a new puppy but since we wont be getting him until June 2019 she wont be able to show him until 2020.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

This paper abstract was just sent my way and might be of interest:
https://fearfreepets.com/wp-content/...S-Abstract.pdf

The study involved a proprietary bifidum probiotic (not one you can go out and buy). I think the strain the market in the US in December RX-only for pets as "Calmining Care." I have no information on whether other non-proprietary strains get the same effect -- you might ask your vet if they have any more information.
JessicaR likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

My puppies massage therapist sells CBD Bio Care full spectrum CBD hemp oil. Before I used that I had purchased receptra pet, she looked that up and said it was a good brand also.
JessicaR likes this.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
I was looking on Amazon and there are so many choices, they all have mixed reviews some say they work others say don't waste your money.
Amazon does NOT sell CBD oil (that is their official and verified position). An occasional seller might sneak in, but should be kicked out in short order (usually by another hemp oil seller reporting them).

Not to put down Hemp Oil. I know that it can have health benefits, but I believe purchasers should be able to clearly understand that they are buying hemp oil only, versus CBD Hemp Oil. Products with CBD, and a documented % of CBD/ounce and/or serving) cost more.

I started using some CBD products a couple of months ago to help with insomnia. My first page of a Google search, gave me a link to Amazon and I even have a friend who thought the Hemp Oil she purchased at Amazon had CBD in it (it did not). You can find products that are "Amazon Choice Labled", great reviews and odd answers to questions about the % of CBD, that skirt around the issue of a percentage of CBD/ounce and lead people to believe that there is CBD in the product, when there is not.

If a product has CBD, you will be able to view the label and/or description and see a percentage of CBD per serving/container. There are different concentrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in the product.
My understanding is that full-spectrum CBD oil can't have more than 3% THC to be labeled as a CBD product versus a Pot product. Three percent or less won't cause any psychogenic effects, but has been noted to generally enhance the benefit of CBD.

like with all products/meds, our issues and our pet's issues are not all created equal. What works for one person or dog, may not work for another. CBD products come in different concentrates. Legitimate products with CBD will have the amount of CBD per ounce listed.

You can find some literature on suggested amount of CBD concentrate per pound to start with (for dogs). From what I've read for human use (thinking it's likely similar for dogs), it's suggested to start out with a small dose, and work your way up as needed to get a desired result. It was, also, stated that it's likely most people will do best, after taking the product for several days/couple of weeks (to build it up in your system). Not to say that it isn't possible to get a desired result from first use or occasional use.

The Amazon reviews, would have been for hemp oil. I suspect there will always be varied reviews for CBD products. For more reliable comparable results, you would need to compare people/dogs with as close to the same issue, same dosage, length of use, etc.

If you decide to give CBD oil a try, with your dog, the quickest way for it to kick in is to administer drops subliminally (under the tongue, & hold for approx. 2 minutes). If drops are just swallowed or pill taken, it generally can take an hour to kick in.

If you try some CBD product that you can use as well, it might be a more flexible situation. I'm just a few months into using a CBD oil and/or pill product, but I did discover that once I made a purchase, I started getting email notification of sales - with between 15% to 30% discount. (i.e. Black Monday sale, Christmas sale, etc.)

JessicaR likes this.

Last edited by NaughtyNibbler; 12-29-2018 at 06:38 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

Amazon is not a place you should buy any dog supplements -- regardless whether they're legal on Amazon or not, it's a wasteland of counterfeits. Several well-known, fairly expensive supplement brands (e.g., Cosequin/Dasuquin) have found fakes that don't contain what the branded originals do. I won't buy human OR dog supplements there after all the reports of fakes found there.

Do you have a subscription to ConsumerLab.com? They just did purity testing on several brands of CBD, including two pet brands. It lives behind a paywall, unfortunately -- they're actually doing third-party testing though, so it's maybe worth at least signing up for their free trial.
JessicaR likes this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

I gave my dog this product after surgery:https://vetcbd.com/products/
Can't say I saw any effects.

Yana

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page