Chuckit at 11 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By Thecowboysgirl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Chuckit at 11 months?

My 11 month old loves to fetch. Any concerns playing chuckit for a 11 month old GSD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Knighted Member

At that age my dog had been chasing balls for many months...never had any problems. I don't do it for more than 4-5 fetches without a short break though. But yeah, your dog should be fine as long as you don't overdo it...
wolfy dog likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Not if you don't overdo it and keep the tosses shorter. I overdid it with long fetch when my dog was a pup and she developed tendonitis up front coming to hard halts and catches from a full run. I'd avoid that until your pup is 12-14 months old.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

I like to throw balls into tall grass which makes for a little search at the end instead of that full speed pounce they do.

All time favorite is to toss with the right bounce so they catch it in stride and there is no stop or bounce. But I fail at that from time to time. although our skill is way better than it used to be, takes some practice
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM

I play chuck it every day I can but I don't want them jumping at all for the ball, but they run all out and they even run back..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
I like to throw balls into tall grass which makes for a little search at the end instead of that full speed pounce they do.

All time favorite is to toss with the right bounce so they catch it in stride and there is no stop or bounce. But I fail at that from time to time. although our skill is way better than it used to be, takes some practice
Totally. I don't release her until the ball is hidden out of sight to prevent that crazy stop unless I throw it into the ocean surf where that fast stop is not an issue. Catching it after a bounce is tricky though. She has done it a few times and I hoped she wouldn't twist her spine. So no more of that and the reason I don't frisbee with her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page