Derpy ear - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Derpy ear

Shadow is now 8 years old. In the last couple of months one ear has decided to tip occasionally. I don't care about looks! My only concern is if this is health related. Her ears came up late and have commonly flopped about when running around, this however is new and happens mostly when she is sleepy.
No ear infection and no new damage that I know of. Her ears are scarred and damaged from before I got her. And this is the same ear that was so late coming up. Again, I could not care less what she looks like.

My main concern is some dietary deficiency, or any health issue that could cause this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 03:22 PM

I have a dog show friend whose older champion male’s ears have done the same thing. He’s 11 now, and in the last year they’ve tipped over into collie ears. As far as I know he’s healthy and going strong.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM

I understand your concern. It may be a protein or calcium issue. Try feeding yogurt and some baked or boiled chicken. Also may need to add supplements into the food. The older people or animals get the harder it is for them to utilize nutrients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This started happening around the time I switched her food. She started out on First Mate grain free, we did a 4 month experiment with Acana singles and she is now on the First Mate grain friendly. I noticed the ear thing about the time she started on the new First Mate.
Never really put that together, might have to do some research.

She is not going back on the Acana, it was terrible for her.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:52 PM

Smart choice. Normally it is the food and how it's processed and/or ingredients. My gsd actually does better on non- grainfree food choices. Good luck to you and your baby!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:55 PM

Oh! I forgot bone marrow, that stuff is loaded with trace minerals. And add just a small amount of yogurt so as not to add too much calcium. Keep us informed of your progress!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne2u View Post
Smart choice. Normally it is the food and how it's processed and/or ingredients. My gsd actually does better on non- grainfree food choices. Good luck to you and your baby!
Shadow did amazing on the First Mate grain free but in light of recent events and information I opted for the grain friendly. The Acana was a failed attempt to find a more readily available food. She has always been an itchy dog, but it was out of control on the Acana plus her stools doubled in size, her coat looked like crap, her energy was down and I was struggling to maintain her weight. Perfect example of a good food that didn't work for a particular dog. With the DCM/grain free research I opted not to continue the grain free.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:53 PM
Elite Member

It could be the grain causing mild yeasty ears or allergy inflammation in her ears. My girl has so many food issues but one allergy sign is clear. We call it "having ear flaps". One of her ears will sort of lay out to the side and she will frequently shake her head. Almost every time it's happened it's been related to her getting an allergen in either a treat or food trial. Why not go back to First Mate grain free it shadow did well on it. If you are worried about taurine it is pretty inexpensive to supplement and easy to get online.
Sabis mom likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
It could be the grain causing mild yeasty ears or allergy inflammation in her ears. My girl has so many food issues but one allergy sign is clear. We call it "having ear flaps". One of her ears will sort of lay out to the side and she will frequently shake her head. Almost every time it's happened it's been related to her getting an allergen in either a treat or food trial. Why not go back to First Mate grain free it shadow did well on it. If you are worried about taurine it is pretty inexpensive to supplement and easy to get online.
Shadow gets hives in her ears when we have allergens in play. I am getting no odor, no hives, no head shake. The problem with the grain free and taurine is that not all dogs that developed dcm have low taurine levels, which may indicate that there is something else in play that we haven't found yet.
It really seems like she has just given up on holding her ear up, and it comes and goes. When she is sleepy or scared it gets worse, but she continues to keep it up most of the time.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:00 PM

Shadow did amazing on the First Mate grain free but in light of recent events and information I opted for the grain friendly. The Acana was a failed attempt to find a more readily available food. She has always been an itchy dog, but it was out of control on the Acana plus her stools doubled in size, her coat looked like crap, her energy was down and I was struggling to maintain her weight. Perfect example of a good food that didn't work for a particular dog. With the DCM/grain free research I opted not to continue the grain free.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you are doing your research. Some say glucosamine is good but more studies show it has no affect.

I have a 7.5 year old GSD and he got real sick. Loosing his hair, dry skin, down 10 lbs and no energy. Had him on the best grain free i could find and yet he was dying before my eyes. I changed his diet, started cooking for him, gave him supplements, herbal formulas, and fermented cod live oil with little kibble. Less than a year later he is absolutely gorgeous , full of life and back to his perfect weight. So i know what a good diet can do. If i can help in anyway just ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page